Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: April 20, 2005|
|2004 Excursion, F-Super Duty|
Some 2004 Super Duty F-Series and Excursion vehicles with the 5.4L or 6.8L engine, single rear wheel (SRW) may exhibit a moan/grunt noise from the power steering when turning, especially during left hand turns. The noise may sound like it is coming from the steering gear or the steering column area.
Replace the power steering pump-to-steering gear pressure line, and the cooler-to-steering gear return line. Refer to the following Service Procedure.
|NOTE:||WHEN REPAIRING A POWER STEERING SYSTEM, ALWAYS THOROUGHLY CLEAN ALL DEBRIS FROM THREADS AND FITTINGS DURING DISASSEMBLY/REASSEMBLY.|
Power Steering Pump-To-Steering Gear Pressure Line
- Using a suitable suction device, drain the power steering fluid reservoir.
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer Workshop Manual Section 100-02.
- Disconnect the pressure line-to-pump fitting (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 05-9-1
- Disconnect the pressure line-to-steering gear fitting and remove the pressure line (Figure 2).
Figure 2 – Article 05-9-1
- To install new line, reverse the removal procedure.
- Torque tube nuts to 26 lb-ft (35 N-m).
Cooler-To-Steering Gear Return Line
- Remove the clamp and disconnect the hose from the cooler-to-steering gear line (Figure 3).
Figure 3 – Article 05-9-1
- Disconnect the clip from radiator support and remove it from the line. Discard the push pin but retain the clip for reuse on the new line.
- Disconnect the line from steering gear (Figure 4).
Figure 4 – Article 05-9-1
- Hand tighten the new line tube nut into the steering gear.
- Position the cooler-to-gear line into clip. Reposition cooler-to-reservoir line so that there is no contact between the two lines near the gear. Close clip and reattach to radiator support using new push pin (390018-S).
- Install cooler hose onto line, make sure it is fully seated all the way to stop bead. Position spring clamp so that it is between 1/8-3/16″ (2- 4 mm) from the end of the hose.
- Torque tube nut at gear to 26 lb-ft (35 N-m).
- Refill the system with clean fluid.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|050901A||2004 Super Duty F-Series Excursion 5.4L/6.8L Replace The Power Steering Pump To Steering Gear Pressure Line, And The Cooler To Steering Gear Return Line (Do Not Use With 3713A, 3719A)||1.3 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|