Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MARCH 18, 1998|
1993-1997 PROBE, THUNDERBIRD
1993-1998 CROWN VICTORIA, ESCORT, MUSTANG, TAURUS
1993-1998 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VIII, SABLE, TOWN CAR, TRACER
1993-1997 AEROSTAR, F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD, F-350
1993-1998 ECONOLINE, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD, RANGER, VILLAGER
1997-1998 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
Hub-mount brake rotor machining equipment from Rotunda is now approved for warranty and service use. Brake roughness consists of one or more of the following symptoms while braking:
- Steering wheel vibration/nibble
- Seat vibration
- Brake pedal pulsation
Brake roughness is caused by:
- Uneven rotor wear known as Disc Thickness Variation (DTV). DTV is caused by excessive Lateral Run-Out (LRO) or overtorqued wheel lug nuts
- Non-uniform lining transfer
Use Rotunda Hub-Mount Lathe / Pro-Cut (201-00002) to service vehicles with brake roughness. The hub-mount lathe removes DTV, lining transfer, and on-vehicle rotor LRO. The hub-mount lathe has the following advantages over caliper-mount lathes:
- Improved rotor LRO and “dishing” tolerances
- Ability to machine rear rotors on live axles, except for trucks with dual rear wheels
- Easier set-up
Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Verify concern.
- Pre-checks to include:
- Check OASIS and TSBs for vehicle-specific brake/vibration concerns
- Visually inspect suspension bushings/ball joints
- Visually inspect tire conditions and pressure
- Check wheel bearing end-play
- Remove wheel/tire.
- Remove caliper.
- For vehicles with two-piece hub/rotor:
- Mark rotor and wheel stud for proper indexing during reassembly.
- Remove rotor.
NOTE: THE ROTOR MUST HAVE SUFFICIENT THICKNESS AFTER MACHINING TO BE OVER THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPECIFICATION CAST IN THE ROTOR. OTHERWISE, THE ROTOR SHOULD BE REPLACED. DO NOT MACHINE NEW ROTORS, PERFORM THE REMAINING STEPS EXCEPT FOR THOSE THAT REFERENCE MACHINING AND CHIP REMOVAL.
- Measure rotor thickness and record measurement. Replace rotor if below the minimum thickness specification cast in the rotor.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE ABRASIVE SANDING DISC SINCE IT WILL REMOVE METAL FROM MOUNTING SURFACES AND ADVERSELY AFFECT ROTOR LATERAL RUNOUT.
- Remove corrosion from wheel mounting surface, both rotor mounting surfaces, and hub mounting surface. A die grinder with a Scotchbrite® surface conditioning disc is recommended.
- For vehicles with two-piece hub/rotor, reinstall rotor onto hub, aligning with marks from Step 5a.
NOTE: READ THE ENTIRE OPERATING MANUAL AND VIEW THE VIDEO SHIPPED WITH THE LATHE BEFORE INSTALLING, OPERATING, OR SERVICING THE LATHE.
- Machine rotors using the Rotunda Hub-Mount Brake Lathe / Pro-Cut (201-00002).
- Install hub adapter and silencer belt (where applicable).
- Install cutting lathe.
NOTE: TOTAL INDICATED READING (TIR) TARGET IS 0.000mm, MAXIMUM IS 0.08mm (0.003″).
- Adjust lathe oscillation using a dial indicator.
NOTE: DEPTH OF CUT SHOULD BE BETWEEN 0.10 AND 0.20mm (0.004 AND 0.008″). LIGHTER CUTS WILL CAUSE THE BIT TO HEAT UP AND WEAR FASTER. HEAVIER CUTS WILL CAUSE POOR ROTOR SURFACE FINISH.
- Center cutting head, adjust cutting bits, install chip deflector.
- Machine rotor.
- Measure and record rotor thickness.
NOTE: TARGET LRO IS 0.000mm, MAXIMUM IS 0.05mm (0.002″).
- Install dial indicator, measure and record rotor LRO. Remove dial indicator.
- Remove lathe and silencer belt.
- Remove metal shavings.
- Remove the adapter.
- For vehicles with two-piece hub/rotors:
- Remove rotor from hub.
- Remove metal shavings from hub and rotor mounting surfaces and from ABS sensors.
- Apply High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant (F6AZ-9L494-AA) to hub mounting surface to prevent future corrosion.
- Match marks on rotor and hub and assemble rotor to hub.
- Install pads and calipers.
NOTE: USING AN IMPACT TOOL WITHOUT AN ACCUTORQ® SOCKET WILL LEAD TO UNEVENLY TORQUED LUG NUTS. THIS CAUSES ROTOR ON-VEHICLE LRO AND EVENTUALLY DTV AND BRAKE ROUGHNESS.
- Install wheels using impact guns equipped with Rotunda AccuTorq® sockets. Use a torque wrench on locking lug nuts.
- Check brake operation before returning to customer.
SUPPORT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
- Lathe Administration Support: (800) 768-8632
- Pro-Cut Technical Support: (800) 543-6618
Reference list for Pro-Cut car labor operations:
- A = Aspire
- B = Escort/Tracer
- C = Probe
- D = Contour/Mystique
- E = Mustang
- F = Taurus/Sable
- G = Thunderbird/Cougar
- H = Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis
- I = Continental
- J = Mark VIII
- K = Town Car
- L = Festiva
- M = Tempo/Topaz
ROTUNDA PRO-CUT LABOR OPERATIONS AND TIMES – CAR Operation Number A B C D E F G H I 1102FP (one) 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 1102FPT (both) 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1102GP (one) N/A 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.6 0.7 1102GPT (both) N/A 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.0 1.1 2001A25P (one) 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.4 0.3 0.4 0.4 2001A25PT (both) 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.7 0.6 0.7 0.7 2001A26P (one) N/A 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 2001A26PT (both) N/A 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.5 0.6 ROTUNDA PRO-CUT LABOR OPERATIONS AND TIMES – CAR Operation Number J K L M 1102FP (one) 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 1102FPT (both) 1.1 1.1 1.1 1.1 1102GP (one) 0.7 0.6 N/A N/A 1102GPT (both) 1.1 1.0 N/A N/A 2001A25P (one) 0.3 0.4 0.3 0.3 2001A25PT (both) 0.6 0.7 0.6 0.6 2001A26P (one) 0.3 0.3 N/A N/A 2001A26PT (both) 0.6 0.5 N/A N/A
Reference list for Pro-Cut light truck labor operations:
- AA = Villager
- AB = Windstar
- AC = Aerostar 4X2
- AD = Aerostar 4X4
- AE = Ranger 4X2
- AF = Ranger 4X4
- AG = Explorer/Mountaineer 4X2
- AH = Explorer/Mountaineer 4X4
- AI = Econoline
- AJ = F-250 HD/F-350 4X2
- AK = F-250 HD/F-350 4X4
- AL = F-Super Duty
- AM = F-150/F-250 LD 4X2
- AN = F-150/F-250 LD 4X4 And Bronco
- AO = Expedition/Navigator 4X2
- AP = Expedition/Navigator 4X4
- AQ = Super Duty F Series
ROTUNDA PRO-CUT LABOR OPERATIONS AND TIMES – LIGHT TRUCK Operation Number AA AB AC AD AE AF AG AH AI AJ AK 1102FP (one) 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.6 0.6 0.7 0.7 0.8 1102FPT (both) 1.1 1.1 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.2 1.4 1102GP (one) N/A 0.7 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 1102GPT (both) N/A 1.1 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 2001A25P (one) 0.4 0.4 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.4 0.4 2001A25PT (both) 0.7 0.7 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.6 0.5 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 2001A26P (one) N/A 0.3 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 2001A26PT (both) N/A 0.6 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ROTUNDA PRO-CUT LABOR OPERATIONS AND TIMES – LIGHT TRUCK Operation Number AL AM AN AO AP AQ 1102FP (one) N/A 0.7 0.6 0.7 0.6 N/A 1102FPT (both) N/A 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 N/A 1102GP (one) N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 1102GPT (both) N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 2001A25P (one) N/A 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 N/A 2001A25PT (both) N/A 0.6 0.5 0.6 0.5 N/A 2001A26P (one) N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 2001A26PT (both) N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F6AZ-9L494-AA||High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
301000, 702300, 703000, 703400
Copyright © 1998 Ford Motor Company