Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 6, 1999|
|1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
A grabbing condition and/or brake pedal kickback, along with a “hissing” noise may occur when applying the brakes. Another condition may be increased steering effort. These may be caused by contamination within the hydroboost system.
Clean the hydroboost system and replace the hydroboost if necessary. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 15 cm (6″) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
NOTE: FLOW DIRECTION ARROW ON FILTER MUST POINT TOWARD THE COOLER.
- This step requires constant tension clamp pliers, not ordinary pliers. Obtain a 20 micron Power Steering Fluid Filter (F8DZ-3F595-AA). Remove the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap off cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install a temporary filter onto the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter.
- Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
- Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
|CAUTION:||BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.|
- Check power steering fluid level after starting the vehicle.
- Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
- While revving the engine to 2200 rpm, turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
- While revving the engine at 2200 rpm, pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
- While revving the engine at 2200 rpm, turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
- Hold engine steady at 2000 rpm for 15 seconds.
- At idle, turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 3 times without applying the brakes and with the vehicle in Park. If hard effort or binding is noticed, repeat Steps 4-6.
- Road test vehicle in parking lot by driving approximately 8-16 km/h (5-10 mph) and, lightly applying the brakes, bring the vehicle to a complete stop to verify the operation of the brakes.
- Refer to the following for further procedure:
- If brake grabbing is not felt and steering efforts are normal, shut the engine off, remove the filter at the cooler, and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard filter. Check power steering fluid level and top off as necessary.
- If brake grabbing is felt, replace the Hydroboost (F81Z-2005-AA). Refer to the 1999 Super Duty F Series Workshop Manual, Section 206-07, for details.
- If increased steering effort persists, replace the Power Steering Pump (F1TZ-3A674-DARM). Refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 206-07, for details.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F8DZ-3F595-AA||Power Steering Fluid Filter|
|F1TZ-3A674-DARM||Power Steering Pump|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|992508AB||Extra Time To Replace Hydroboost||0.8 Hr.|
|992508AC||Extra Time To Replace Power Steering Pump||0.7 Hr.|
|992508A||Remove Hose And Install Filter||0.6 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
301000, 303000, 304000, 702000, 702100, 702300