Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: September 28, 2004|
1999-2003 F-Super Duty
This article supersedes TSB 03-21-51 to update the service part and procedure.
Some 7.3L Diesel Turbocharger Pedestals may leak oil around the Exhaust Backpressure Actuator (EBP). Oil seepage that shows evidence of dust collection is a normal acceptable condition and should not be repaired. Service ONLY leaks that visually show signs of dripping oil.
Replace the Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) Seal and the other pedestal seals. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||DIFFERENT SHAPES OF PEDESTALS ARE USED ON THE 7.3L ENGINE. THE 2C3Z-9P466-AB SEAL KIT CAN BE INSTALLED ON ALL PEDESTAL CONFIGURATIONS FOR 1999-2003 MODEL YEARS, AND ON 1998 E-SERIES WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER 661974 AND LATER. EARLY 1998 E-SERIES (ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS BEFORE 661974) USED A DIFFERENT TURBOCHARGER AND PEDESTAL THAT IS NOT ADDRESSED BY THIS TSB.|
- To disconnect the piston rod from the control valve, move the slide lock back and unhook the latch end from the control arm (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 04-20-2
- Remove the turbocharger from the pedestal (Figure 2). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-04.
Figure 2 – Article 04-20-2
- Remove the pedestal from the engine.
- Unscrew the latch end (and jam nut, if equipped) from the piston rod. Hold the piston rod securely while unscrewing the latch end because it is crimped to the piston rod (Figure 3).
Figure 3 – Article 04-20-2
- Remove the retaining ring from the housing.
- Remove the end cover from the housing by gently tapping on the threaded end of the piston rod.
- Remove the piston rod, spring, spring seat and two wiper seals (one black, one white) as an assembly from the housing. Discard the assembly.
- Thoroughly clean the pedestal and the inside of the housing.
- Lubricate the inside of the housing and the outside of the new EBP piston rod assembly with clean engine oil.
- Install the new EBP piston rod assembly (without the jam nut and latch end) into the housing far enough to install the cover and retaining ring.
- Lubricate the O-ring on the new end cover with clean engine oil. Install the end cover and retaining ring in the housing.
- Install the jam nut and latch end on the threaded end of the piston rod. Install a new slide lock on the latch end.
- Adjust the preload of the EBP piston rod on a workbench as follows:
- Install the turbocharger onto the pedestal on a workbench. Tighten the mounting bolts.
- Connect the latch end of the piston rod to the control arm. Do not close the slide lock.
- Attach a spring scale tester to the control arm and pull on the tester (Figure 4).
Figure 4 – Article 04-20-2
- To determine when the EBP control valve moves, insert a 0.010″ feeler gauge between the control valve stop and the stop on the turbocharger housing. When the feeler gauge falls out, take the reading on the spring scale tester. The reading on the spring scale tester should be 4.5 kg (10 lbs.) when the feeler gauge falls out.
- If the preload of the EBP piston rod does not meet this specification, shorten or lengthen the piston rod by screwing the latch end in or out. Repeat the test procedure.
- When the proper preload is achieved, lock the jam nut against the latch end.
- Disconnect the piston rod from the control arm.
- Remove the turbocharger from the pedestal.
- Install the pedestal on the engine. Use new oil feed and oil drain O-rings between the pedestal and the crankcase. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-04.
- Install the turbocharger on the pedestal. Use new oil feed and oil drain O-rings between the turbocharger and the pedestal. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-04.
- Connect the latch end of the piston rod to the control arm. Close the slide lock.
LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART Operation Labor Description Application Time 042002A Replace The Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) Seal (Includes Time To Remove And Install Turbocharger) 1999-2003 F-Super Duty 2.3 Hrs. 2000-2003 Excursion 2.3 Hrs. 1999-2003 Econoline 1.6 Hrs. 1998 Econoline 2.2 Hrs.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|2C3Z-9P466-AB||O-Ring Kit (Seal)|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|