Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 21, 2002|
Article 98-8-12 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage
A cab/body bounce at highway speeds may be felt on some vehicles. This may be caused by road input (e.g., segmented concrete roads) that causes the cab/body to bounce rhythmically fore & aft at highway speeds.
Install a rear bumper damper assembly. The damper assembly should reduce the possibility of vibration. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
Road test to verify condition is unique to road input (e.g., segmented concrete roads). If condition is caused by road input, install a rear bumper damper assembly as described in the following steps.
- Disconnect license plate lamps and trailer tow connector, if equipped.
- Remove the rear bumper nuts and carefully remove the bumper. Place bumper on a protected surface with the studs facing up.
- Install rear bumper Damper (F85Z-17E834-AA) onto bumper studs with damper assembly cables facing up.
- Apply Stud and Bearing Mount (EOAZ-19554-BA, or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G349-A1) onto the studs.
- Disconnect license plate lamp wiring harness from pickup box flange by pulling the push connector.
- Reinstall bumper with damper assembly onto the support brackets.
- Loosely attach new Nuts (N804525-S427) onto the studs.
- Route both license plate lamps wiring between damper ends and top lip of bumper, and permanently position using tape or tie strap. Be sure to route and secure the wiring away from the moving portion of the damper.
- Torque the bumper nuts to 136 Lb-ft (100 N-m).
- Verify service.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F85Z-17E834-AA||Damper (1 Per Vehicle)|
|N804525-S427||Nuts (4 Per Vehicle)|
|EOAZ-19554-BA||Stud And Bearing Mount|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|022111A||Install A Rear Bumper Damper Assembly (Includes Time To Remove And Install Rear Bumper)||1.0 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|