Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MARCH 2, 1998|
|1998 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG|
|1998 GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VIII, TOWN CAR|
|1998 ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250, MOUNTAINEER, NAVIGATOR|
The 4R70W transmission installed in some 1998 vehicles will have an orange “PRIOR TO REPAIR” tag on the lower pan (Figure 1). The orange tag refers to this TSB and provides a toll-free telephone number to be used by all U.S. and Canadian dealers for further service direction. (Not applicable outside the U.S. or Canada.)
Prior to 8/31/98, do not disassemble these tagged 4R70W transmissions. Perform the following Diagnostic Procedure, record your findings and contact Ford Motor Company at (800) 551-0692 if there is a concern involving one of these orange tagged transmissions. After 8/31/98, follow the Service Manual diagnosis and repair procedures.
Figure 1 – Article 98-4-12
If there is a service concern involving one of the orange “Service tagged transmissions” call the toll-free number between the hours of 8:00AM and 4:30PM EST Monday through Friday (a recorder is on 24 hours per day), after conducting the following diagnostic procedure.
Use the following procedure when servicing the orange tagged transmissions:
- Check and record the transmission fluid level.
- If low, fill with Motorcraft MERCON®V Automatic Transmission Fluid (XT-5-QM) (new fluid for 1998 4R70W transmissions) to the proper level and check for a leak.
- If a leak is the only concern, call the toll-free number prior to the repair.
- Check the vehicle harness connectors for proper installation at the Transmission Range (TR) sensor, Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and transmission connector.
- Perform EEC system Quick Test and record all codes.
- If no fault codes are present, go to Step 5. If fault codes are present, perform the required pinpoint tests as directed in the 1998 Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual for any fault codes received. Repair all NON-transmission codes and verify if transmission symptom still exists.
- If the transmission symptom exists, install Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) Tester and follow the appropriate output state control instructions to determine if the concern is internal to the transmission.
- If the transmission requires service, call Ford Motor Company toll-free at (800) 551-0692 (all U.S. and Canadian dealers only).
NOTE: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE ANY TRANSMISSION PRIOR TO CALLING THIS TOLL-FREE NUMBER.
All diagnostic information (fluid level, EEC codes, transmission test results with NGS, transmission concern, and transmission tag information) must be recorded before calling Ford Motor Company.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|980412A||Check Transmission Fluid And Service||0.2 Hr.|
|980412B||Check Transmission Fluid And Check Connectors||0.5 Hr.|
|980412C||Check Transmission Fluid, Check Connectors, And Perform Quick Test||0.9 Hr.|
|980412D||Check Transmission Fluid, Check Connectors, Perform Quick Test, And Perform Internal Transmission Test With New Generation Star (NGS) Tester||1.3 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
501000, 502000, 503000, 503300, 504000, 510000, 590000