Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: July 31, 2012|
This article supersedes TSB(s) 10-22-06 to update the Part List and Service Procedure.
Some 2009-2012 F-150 Vehicles equipped with a 2-piece driveshaft only and built on or before 7/30/2012 may exhibit a rear driveshaft slip/bump concern on light to moderate acceleration from a stop or when coming to a stop with light braking.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
It is not necessary to remove the entire driveshaft from the vehicle for this repair.
- With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.
- Index-mark the driveshaft flange and pinion flange to maintain alignment during installation.
- Mark a straight line down the slip yoke and driveshaft in line with front slip yoke boot clamp head, to help align for reassembly. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 12-7-13
- Remove the front boot clamp only from the center slip yoke and discard.
- Remove the four (4) driveshaft flange bolts.
- Using a suitable tool, disconnect the driveshaft flange from the flange pilot.
- Remove the rear portion of the driveshaft only – leave the slip yoke boot on the rear shaft.
- Using a dry, clean, lint free towel, thoroughly clean old grease from the splines on the slip yoke only.
- If the vehicle is a 4×4, perform the following procedure. If not, proceed to Step 10.
- Loosen the center bearing bolts and slide the center bearing fully rearward in the slotted mounting holes
- Torque the center bearing bolts to 48 N-m (35 lb-ft).
- Apply an even coat of new grease from the kit to the internal splines of the slip yoke only. (Figure 2)
Figure 2 – Article 12-7-13
- Position the new slip yoke boot clamp from the kit over the boot on the spline portion of the driveshaft. Leave clamp loose at this time.
- Install the rear portion of the driveshaft onto the slip yoke using the alignment marks from Step 3.
- Apply new Threadlock and Sealer to the original driveshaft flange bolts.
- Install the four (4) driveshaft flange bolts using the marks from Step 2 as reference. Torque to 103 N-m (76 lb-ft).
- Position the front slip yoke clamp head in-line with the alignment marks from Step 3 and crimp the slip yoke boot clamp using Rotunda Tool 205-343.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|9L3Z-4W602-A||Slip Joint Repair Kit|
|TA-25||Threadlock And Sealer|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|120713A||2009-2012 F-150: Clean And Lubricate The Splines Of The Driveshaft Slip Yoke Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.5 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|