Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: March 2, 2012|
|2011-2012 Mustang, F-150|
This article supersedes TSB 11-12-12 to update the Service Procedure and warranty causal part number.
Some 2011-2012 F-150 and Mustang vehicles (excluding Boss) equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an intermittent metallic rattle or scratching type noise in the area at the front of the left hand or driver side cylinder head at idle with the engine at operating temperature.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Determine engine build date. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
- If engine build date is on or before 11/10/2011, proceed to Step 2.
- If engine build date is on or after 11/11/2011, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
- Warm the engine to operating temperature.
- Using a mechanic's stethoscope or EngineEAR, listen for a metallic type rattle or scratching type noise at the front of LH cylinder head.
- Is the noise heard in areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)
Figure 1 – Article 12-3-1
Figure 2 – Article 12-3-1
- Yes – Proceed to Step 5.
- No – This article does not apply.
- Remove accessory drive belt, refer to WSM, Section 303-05. Is noise still present?
- Yes – Proceed to Step 6.
- No – Replace the coolant pump. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03A.
- Is the noise heard in the areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)
- Yes – Replace the LH primary tensioner and timing chain tensioner arm using the kit part number provided in this article. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01B.
- No – This article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for normal diagnostics.
NOTE: FAILURE TO REPLACE BOTH THE PRIMARY TENSIONER AND TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER ARM MAY RESULT IN OVERLOADING OF THE TIMING CHAIN AND UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO TIMING CHAIN FAILURE.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BR3Z-6L266-AA||Chain Tensioner Kit|
|ZC-30||Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover|
|ZC-31-A||Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep|
|TA-30||Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket And Sealant|
|F1VY-8507-A||Water Pump Gasket|
|BR3Z-6020-B||Front Cover Gasket – Left|
|BR3Z-6020-C||Front Cover Gasket – Center|
|BR3Z-6020-D||Front Cover Gasket – Right|
|BR3Z-6584-A||Valve Cover Gasket – Left|
|BR3Z-6584-D||Valve Cover Gasket – Right|
|BR3Z-8620-A||A/C Stretchy Belt|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|120301A||2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||1.5 Hrs.|
|120301A||2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The Coolant Pump Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||1.7 Hrs.|
|120301B||2011-2012 F-150 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||5.3 Hrs.|
|120301B||2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The LH Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||5.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|