Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: September 27, 2011|
Some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles (excluding Boss) built on or before 3/31/2011 and equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an intermittent metallic rattle or scratching type noise in the area at the front of the left hand (driver side) cylinder head at idle with the engine at operating temperature.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
|NOTE:||NOISE IS NOT A TYPICAL UPPER ENGINE TICK OR TAPPING NOISE.|
- With the vehicle in park, start the engine and operate at idle allowing the engine to warm to normal operating temperature.
- Using a mechanic’s stethoscope or EngineEAR, evaluate area at front of left hand (driver side) cylinder head for metallic rattle or scratching type noise. Stethoscope or EngineEAR probe should be placed in the areas shown. (Figures 1 and 2)
- Is the noise heard in the areas shown? (Figures 1 and 2)
Figure 1 – Article 11-9-15
Figure 2 – Article 11-9-15
(Place stethoscope on cylinder head oil galley.)
- Yes – Replace the left hand primary tensioner and the left hand timing chain tensioner arm using the kit part number provided in this article. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01C, Camshaft-Left Hand , for removal and installation procedure.
- No – Do not continue with this article. Perform normal diagnostics. Refer to WSM, Section 303-00.
NOTE: FAILURE TO REPLACE BOTH THE PRIMARY TENSIONER AND TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER ARM MAY RESULT IN OVERLOADING OF THE TIMING CHAIN AND UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD LEAD TO TIMING CHAIN FAILURE.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BR3Z-6L266-AA||Chain Tensioner Kit|
|ZC-30||Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket Remover|
|ZC-31-A||Motorcraft® Metal Surface Prep|
|TA-30||Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant|
|F1VY-8507-A||Water Pump Gasket|
|BR3Z-6020-B||Front Cover Gasket Left|
|BR3Z-6020-C||Front Cover Gasket Center|
|BR3Z-6020-D||Front Cover Gasket Right|
|BR3Z-6584-A||Left Hand Valve Cover Gasket|
|BR3Z-6584-D||Right Hand Valve Cover Gasket|
|BR3Z-8620-A||A/C Stretchy Belt|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|110915A||2011 F-150 5.0L: Replace The Left Hand Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||5.3 Hrs.|
|110915A||2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L: Replace The Left Hand Timing Chain Tensioner And Tensioner Arm Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||5.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company