Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 1, 2003|
This article supersedes TSB 03-9-10 to update the Service Procedure.
Some vehicles built before 2/25/02 equipped with the 4.2L engine and Automatic Transmission, may exhibit a Vibration and/or Rattle condition when the engine is at idle in gear or when accelerating from a slow speed 32 km/h (20 MPH). This may be caused by an exhaust vibration condition and may falsely appear to come from the catalytic converter.
Verify the condition before replacing any components or before attempting any repairs. If necessary, install Exhaust System Damper(s) and/or Motor Mounts. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s). Resolve all codes that are present using the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual before proceeding.
- Correct any looseness, misalignment, or binding in the exhaust system as directed in section 309-00 of the appropriate year Workshop Manual.
- If engine lift brackets are present, remove and discard them. Ensure the manifold nuts are re-torqued to 23-27N-m (17-20 lb-ft).
- Verify the correct engine mount application as follows and correct as needed:
- A/T engineering numbers YL34-6038-CA (R.H.) & YL34-6B032-AA (L.H.)
- M/T engineering numbers YL34-6038-DA (R.H.) & YL34-6B032-DA (L.H.)
NOTE: BOTH ENGINEERING NUMBERS APPEAR ON THE MOUNT BRACKETS. THEY ARE FURTHER IDENTIFIED BY AN ORANGE DOT FOR M/T AND A YELLOW DOT FOR A/T.
- On 139″ wheelbase, install Exhaust System Damper (1L3Z-5G209-BA) in front of the muffler as shown (Figure 1).
- On 120″ wheelbase, install Exhaust System Damper (3L3Z-5G209-BA) in front of the muffler as shown in (Figure 1).
NOTE: IF THE VIBRATION IS STILL PRESENT AFTER THE FRONT DAMPER INSTALLATION (PER STEPS 5 & 6), IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO INSTALL A SECOND DAMPER (3L3Z-5G209-BA) AT THE REAR OF THE MUFFLER AS SHOWN (Figure 1).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F85Z-6038-JA||Insulator – Motor Mount R.H.|
|F85Z-6038-AA||Insulator – Motor Mount L.H.|
|F85Z-6038-MA||Insulator – Motor Mount R.H.|
|F85Z-6038-DA||Insulator – Motor Mount L.H.|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Figure 1 – Article 03-20-7
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company