Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: FEBRUARY 15, 2002|
|2000-2002 EXPEDITION, F-150|
A high number of Idler Arms are being replaced as a result of routine inspections or of complaints of tire wear and looseness being felt in the steering system. There may be a misunderstanding about how much Idler Arm movement/play is acceptable – because there is no movement/free-play specification published in the Workshop Manual or any other dealer Service Information documents.
Use proper inspection practices referred to in the following Service Procedure for measuring Idler Arm freeplay. The maximum allowable freeplay is 5 mm (0.200″). Refer to the following Service Procedure for the correct Idler Arm inspection details.
- Place the vehicle on a drive-on hoist.
- Obtain a dial indicator and holding fixture similar to that referenced in the Figures shown (a magnetic-base dial indicator is also acceptable – provided it mounts securely).
- Clean off the area on the Center Link next to the Idler Arm mount.
- Install and zero-out the dial indicator on the Center Link.
- While grasping the Center Link, and attempting to move it up and down; observe the dial indicator reading.
- If the reading is 5 mm (0.200″) or less, the Idler Arm movement is acceptable, and the Idler Arm should not be replaced.
- If the reading is greater than 5 mm (0.200″), replace the Idler Arm.
- Check and adjust toe-in as necessary if the Idler Arm is replaced.
- Figure #1 shows one type of tool in position on a 4X4 vehicle
- Figure #2 shows the tip of the dial indicator resting on the Center Link adjacent to the Idler Arm attachment point
- Figure #3 shows one type of tool in position on a 4X2 vehicle
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|020401A||Measure Idler Arm Freeplay||0.2 Hr.|
|020401B||Measure Idler Arm Freeplay And Replace Idler Arm (Includes Time To Check And Adjust Toe As Necessary||1.2 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
303000, 306000, 390000, 702000, 702100
Figure 1 – Article 02-4-1
Figure 2 – Article 02-4-1
Figure 3 – Article 02-4-1
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company