Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 8, 1998|
|1997 PROBE, THUNDERBIRD|
1997-1999 CONTOUR, CROWN VICTORIA, ESCORT, MUSTANG, TAURUS
1997-1999 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VIII, MYSTIQUE, SABLE, TOWN CAR, TRACER
1997-1999 ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD, MOUNTAINEER, RANGER, VILLAGER, WINDSTAR
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to declare this TSB does not apply to vinyl covered air bag modules.
Some vinyl covered items such as dash panels, door trim panels, consoles, etc., may exhibit a small (less than 5mm deep) dent, scuff, abrasion and/or discoloration resulting from assembly, transit, dealer prep and/or customer usage. Replacement of these items is not necessary, except for air bag modules which must be replaced.
|WARNING:||AIR BAG MODULES WITH DISCOLORED OR DAMAGED COVERS OR DEPLOYMENT DOORS MUST BE REPLACED, NOT REPAINTED.|
Refer to the following Service Procedure for details when any of the above conditions are experienced. Repairing and not replacing the damaged component should reduce the possibility of further damage during service.
- Begin with the vehicle interior at room temperature.
- Clean the vinyl using mild soap and water to remove all dirt, grease, and wax.
- Wipe the surface dry.
- Using a low temperature heat gun, slowly pass the gun over the dented area using a sweeping motion.
NOTE: DO NOT LEAVE THE HEAT DIRECTED AT AN AREA FOR MORE THAN 15 SECONDS. HEATING ABOVE 205°C (400°F) WILL DAMAGE THE VINYL. DO NOT TOUCH THE GUN NOZZLE TO THE SURFACE. DO NOT TOUCH THE HEATED AREA UNTIL IT HAS COOLED.
- Check to see if dent has been removed.
- If dent still remains, repeat Steps 1-5.
- If the dent has been removed but the area is shiny, lightly sand with 800 grit sandpaper. Wipe the area clean and repaint the area following the procedure outlined below.
- Make sure the paint and part to be painted are at room temperature.
- Use masking tape to mask off the surrounding areas to protect from overspray.
- Paint an area as large as possible to prevent a noticeable transition of color.
- Test spray paint on a scrap surface to determine proper distance, usually 254-305mm (10-12″) from the surface. Refer to the directions listed on the can.
- Spray a light, even coat in large sweeping strokes. Let dry.
- If required, additional coats may be applied after the previous coat has dried.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
106000, 107000, 190000
Copyright © 1998 Ford Motor Company