Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: JUNE 23, 1997|
|1997 EXPEDITION, F-150|
Soft/drawn out and/or slip/bump 1-2 upshifts may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by the E4OD transmission being built with the wrong valve body separator plate.
Confirm the vehicle build dates are from 4/18/97 through 4/21/97, and transmission build date is 7D15 with serial numbers between 00012500 and 00012855. When confirmation is made, replace transmission with an exchange unit, or if exchange is not available replace the Separator Plate and mating gaskets. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
For vehicles that do not fit the following description, follow all the normal diagnostics as outlined in the appropriate Workshop Manual and service as required. Refer to the Parts Catalog for proper part usage.
- Verify the following:
- Vehicle application
- Vehicle build dates
- Transmission build date
- Transmission serial number
- Call (800) 543-8742 to exchange transmission.
- If an exchange unit is not available and vehicle fits the description listed in Step 1, replace the separator plate and mating gaskets.
- Remove transmission pan, main controls, accumulator body, and solenoid body.
- Remove the separator plate and both gaskets, discard plate and gaskets.
CAUTION: SOME OF THESE VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE INTERNAL DAMAGE. THE TRANSMISSION MAY NEED TO BE REMOVED, DISASSEMBLED AND REPAIRED TO PREVENT A REPEAT REPAIR LATER.
- If the transmission fluid shows signs of overheating or breakdown, remove the transmission, and repair as required.
- Install new Separator Plate (F7TZ-7A008-AA) (refer to Figure 1 for separator plate identification) and the mating gaskets:
- Separator Plate-To-Case Gasket (F6TZ-7C155-A)
- Separator Plate-To-Valve Body Gasket (F6TZ-7D100-A)
NOTE: FOLLOW ALL NORMAL SERVICE PROCEDURES AS OUTLINED IN THE 1997 F-150 OR EXPEDITION WORKSHOP MANUAL. CAUTION: FLUSH ALL COOLERS, COOLER LINES, AND COOLER BYPASS VALVE PRIOR TO INSTALLING NEW EXCHANGE OR REPAIRED TRANSMISSION.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F7TZ-7A008-AA||Valve Body Separator Plate|
|F6TZ-7C155-A||Separator Plate-To-Case Gasket|
|F6TZ-7D100-A||Separator Plate-To-Valve Body Gasket|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|971323A||Replace Transmission Or Separator Plate||Refer To SLTS Manual|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
501000, 502000, 503000, 504000