Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: JUNE 23, 1997|
|1997 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the Service Procedure.
A “clunking” or “grunting” noise may be heard from the driveline during acceleration and/or braking on some vehicles. This may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the transfer case output shaft splines.
Install a revised slip yoke and teflon grease to lubricate the splines. The grease should allow the new slip yoke to slide smoothly on the output shaft, reducing the possibility of noise. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Perform the diagnostic procedure outlined in Section 100-04 of the appropriate 1997 F-150/250 or Expedition Body/Chassis Workshop Manual to verify the driveline clunk and/or grunt.
- If the noise is verified, index the driveshaft by marking the driveshaft yoke to axle flange to ensure initial driveshaft balance when reinstalled. Then remove the driveshaft from the vehicle. Refer to Page 205-01-07 of the Workshop Manual for the proper removal procedure.
- Carefully remove the ground wire from the main bulkhead connector and clip. Remove the plastic wire protector shield. Remove the transfer case extension housing bolts. Remove the transfer case extension housing using caution not to damage the ground wire or pull the ground wire out of the transfer case. Remove the spillage seal from the transfer case output shaft (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 97-13-21
- Reinstall the transfer case extension housing and torque the bolts to 22-27 N-m (16-20 lb-ft).
- Remove the slip yoke from the driveshaft and install a revised slip yoke. Refer to the Workshop Manual, Page 205-01-09 for Expedition and 205-01-17 for F-Series, for the proper procedure. Refer to the Slip Yoke Usage Chart to determine the correct part.
- Spread 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Teflon Grease (D2AZ-19590-A) evenly over the slip yoke splines.
- Reindex and reinstall the driveshaft by inserting the slip yoke into the extension housing and tightening the axle flange bolts to 88-119 N-m (65-88 lb-ft). Be sure to align the marks on the driveshaft that were previously installed in Step 2.
- Drain and refill the transfer case using Motorcraft MERCONŽ Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (XT-2-QDX) per the Service Manual specifications.
SLIP YOKE USAGE CHART Vehicle Engine Wheelbase Part Number F-150 4.2L, 4.6L 120″ F6TZ-4841-CC 5.4L 120″ F87Z-4841-AA 4.2L, 4.6L 139″ F75Z-4841-RS 5.4L 139″ F75Z-4841-RB ALL 157″ F65Z-4841-FA F-250 ALL ALL F75Z-4841-RS Expedition ALL Air Suspension F75Z-4841-RB 4.6L Coil Suspension F6TZ-4841-CC 5.4L Coil Suspension F87Z-4841-AA
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XT-2-QDX||Motorcraft MERCONŽ Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|971321A||Replace Slip Yoke And Remove Spillage Seal From Transfer Case||1.3 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
597997, 702000, 702200, 702300