Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: November 15, 2006|
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
This article supersedes TSB 05-13-5 to update the Service Procedure and vehicle model years.
Some 2003-2005 Excursion and 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, equipped with the 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit an oil leak or boost pressure leak at hot-side charge air cooler (CAC) duct assembly connections.
The hot-side CAC duct is no longer available as an assembly. Should CAC repairs become necessary, individual components must be ordered to rebuild the duct assembly. Refer to the following Service Tips.
- Carefully inspect all components for holes, tears, cuts, abrasion, oil saturation or sponginess, and order only the components needing replacement. Use new clamps rather than reusing the old.
- Thoroughly clean all components, both new and reused, especially in the joint clamp areas, as well as the turbo and CAC connections, using PM-4-B Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner.
- If the curved turbo hose must be replaced, mark the metal duct adjacent to the faint white alignment mark on the old hose (top position in vehicle) before removing it from the duct. Then install the new hose so its alignment mark is adjacent to the mark made on the metal duct. Position and torque clamps.
- Carefully reinstall the rebuilt duct assembly. Torque all four (4) clamps to 9 lb-ft (12 N-m) only; over tightening will damage the component. Check all joints for leaks using soapy water.
NOTE: BEFORE REBUILDING AND INSTALLING THE DUCT, OBSERVE THE COLOR OF THE INSIDE SURFACE OF EACH HOSE.
If Blue (B),
- Apply a thin uniform coating of TA-31 Motorcraft® RTV Silicone Sealant to the sealing surfaces of the hose and to the mating duct and fitting
- After reassembly and reinstallation, allow to cure for three (3) hours before starting the engine. These steps will help prevent joint separation.
If Red-Orange (R-O)
- Do not apply any sealant / adhesive, as this hose has inherent adhesive properties.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|6C3Z-6C640-C||Turbo Hose – Shorter (B) or (R-O)|
|6C3Z-6C640-A||Turbo Hose – Longer (R-O)|
|6C3Z-6C640-B||CAC Hose (R-O)|
|5C3Z-6K769-BA||Metal Duct-Dual Generator|
|3C3Z-6K769-CA||Metal Duct-Dual Generator|
|5C3Z-6K769-AA||Metal Duct-Single Generator|
|6C3Z-6K769-A||Metal Duct-Single Generator|
|PM-4-B||Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner|
|TA-31||Motorcraft® RTV Silicone Sealant|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company