Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 7, 2003|
|1999-2001 E SERIES, SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
2000-2001 EXCURSION, F-650, F-750
Article 03-14-9 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.
Some 1999-2001 Super Duty F-Series, E-Series, 2000-2001 Excursions and 2000- 2001 F650-750 vehicles equipped with a 7.3L DI may exhibit a loss of power, oil leaks around the turbo, and/or excessive exhaust noise from the turbo.
Visually inspect the turbo housing for loose or missing turbo housing bolts (Figure 1 and Figure 2). If turbo housing bolts are loose or missing, use Turbo Housing Bolt Kit 1C3Z-9G486-AA to replace the bolts. The new bolts are torque prevailing bolts (Figure 3).
|NOTE:||DO NOT REPLACE THE TURBOCHARGER FOR THIS CONDITION UNLESS THE TURBINE WHEEL HAS CONTACTED THE HOUSING AND HAS BEEN DAMAGED.|
|NOTE:||REMOVE AND REPLACE THE PRODUCTION BOLTS ONE AT A TIME TO PREVENT MOVEMENT OF THE TURBINE HOUSING. MOVEMENT OF THE TURBINE HOUSING COULD CAUSE INTERFERENCE WITH THE TURBINE WHEEL AND DAMAGE TO HIGH SPEED PARTS.|
- Follow appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 303-04 procedure to remove the turbo.
- Remove first production bolt from center housing.
- Clean internal threads in the turbine housing.
- Install new bolt and torque to 360 lb-in. (41 N-m).
- Repeat Steps 2-4 for the remaining 3 bolts.
- Inspect the reusable oil feed and oil drain O-rings between pedestal and turbo for damage. REPLACE ONLY IF THE SEAL IS DAMAGED.
- Lubricate O-ring seals with clean engine oil prior to re-assembly
- Follow appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 303-04 procedure to reinstall the turbo.
LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART Operation Labor Description Vehicle Time 032149A Replace Turbocharger Housing Bolts (Includes Time To Remove And Install Turbocharger) 1999-2001 E Series 1.7 Hrs. 1999-2001 Super Duty F Series 2.4 Hrs. 2000-2001 Excursion 2.4 Hrs. 2000-2001 F650/750 2.8 Hrs.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|1C3Z-9G486-AA||Turbocharger Housing Bolt Kit|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 03-21-49
Figure 2 – Article 03-21-49
Figure 3 – Article 03-21-49