Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: March 12, 2010|
|2010 F-250, F-350|
Some 2010 F-Super Duty 250-350 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine, single rear wheel, four wheel drive (4WD) system and built between 8/1/2009 and 2/5/2010 may exhibit a condition where the charge air cooler (CAC) tube blows off. This condition may be caused by inadequate clearance to or interference with the inboard front-to-front (FTF) bracket fasteners at the driver's side lower corner of the CAC.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
If CAC tube blow-off is present at the LH CAC tube flex joint connection with no interference or inadequate clearance concern, confirm the vehicle does not have an aftermarket powertrain control module (PCM) programmer installed or modifications that have resulted in turbocharger over boost concerns. If vehicle exhibits diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2263 or other turbocharger boost system performance DTCs, refer to Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Pinpoint Test KA for further diagnostics.
- Inspect the CAC for inadequate clearance, minimum 1/8″ (3.2 mm) for possible interference with the inboard FTF bracket fasteners. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 10-5-8
- If clearance is less than 1/8″ (3.2 mm) or interference is present, proceed to Step 2.
- If clearance is 1/8″ (3.2 mm) or more, proceed to Step 4.
- Remove the inboard FTF bracket fastener assembly.
- Reinstall the inboard FTF bracket fastener assembly in the reverse direction so the nuts are installed in the interior of the frame section. Torque nuts to 66 Â± 10 lb-ft (90 Â± 13.5 N-m). (Figure 2)
Figure 2 – Article 10-5-8
- If CAC tube blow-off condition was present, thoroughly clean all components, especially in the joint clamp areas using MotorcraftÂ® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner and inspect the inside of the flexible CAC tubes for damage before reusing.
- Reinstall CAC tube flex joint using new clamps. Torque clamps to 71 lb-in (8 N-m).
- Do not over tighten clamps or damage to components will result. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-12: Intake Air Distribution and Filtering for additional information.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|PM-4-B||MotorcraftÂ® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner|
|6C3Z-6K786-EA||CAC End Clamp|
|6C3Z-6K786-CA||Tube End Clamp|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|MT100508||Use SLTS Operations If Available; Claim Additional Diagnosis Or Labor Performed As Actual Time.||Actual Time|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright Â© 2010 Ford Motor Company