Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 4, 2000|
A “clunking” sound may be heard on some SVT Lightning F-150 vehicles during parking maneuvers. This may be caused by the steering stops or the front lower control arm pivot attachment point.
Refer to the following Service Procedure to determine the source of the clunk and proper repair procedure.
- If the clunk occurs at full or near-full steering lock, then it is most likely caused by the spindle contacting a dry steering stop on the lower control arm.
- If the clunk occurs at less than full steering lock, then it is most likely caused by movement of the left side lower control arm at the rear pivot attachment to the frame. At the left rear attachment point only, the frame is slotted to allow for caster adjustment during vehicle assembly. Excessive frame wax, insufficient clamping force, and high loads (due to large wheels and tires) can cause the arm to slide in the slot.
|NOTE:||THE LIGHTNING HAS UNIQUE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARMS. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LIGHTNING AND STANDARD F-150 4X2 CONTROL ARM IS THE STEERING STOP. THE LIGHTNING STEERING STOPS ARE WELDED ON WHILE THE STANDARD F-150 4X2 STOPS ARE RIVETED ON. THE ARM, BUSHINGS, AND BALL JOINTS ARE THE SAME.|
STEERING STOP CLUNK
Lubricate control arm steering stops and contact points on the spindle on both sides of the vehicle with Teflon Lubricant (D2AZ-19590-A).
CONTROL ARM MOVEMENT CLUNK
Replace rear inner pivot fasteners on front left hand lower control arm with two (2) new “toothed” washers and related fasteners. These washers have teeth around the circumference to prevent movement.
- Raise vehicle on drive-on lift.
- Support left lower control arm at the rear bushing with a jackstand.
- Remove left rear lower control arm nut, washer, and bolt. Retain bolt.
- Remove the staked washer from the bolt. This can be done by holding washer in a vise and tapping the bolt through.
- Clean the frame area around the washers, on both sides, with solvent and a wire brush.
- Reassemble using the old bolt (washer removed), a new Nut (N800237-S427), and toothed Washers (W707896-S427), one on each side of bushing, making sure bolt is centered in slot.
NOTE: THE WASHERS MUST BE INSTALLED WITH THE TEETH TOWARD THE FRAME.
- Torque nut to 190 N-m(140 lb-ft).
- Remove jackstand.
- Recoat frame with Ford Super Seal Aerosol Anti-Corrosion Compound (F3AZ-19515-SA) to prevent corrosion.
- Check front end alignment, adjust if necessary using specifications included in this article. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for alignment procedures.
F-150 LIGHTNING ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS Item LH RH Total/Split Camber -0.5° -0.5° 0° +/- 0.7° Caster 6.7° 7.2° -0.5° +/- 0.7° Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out) -0.05° ħħħ+/- 0.15° -0.05° +/- 0.15° -0.10° +/- 0.25°
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|W707896-S427||Washer (Toothed) (2 Required Per Vehicle)|
|N800237-S427||Nut (M16x2.0 Hex Flange Locking)|
|F3AZ-19515-SA||Super Seal Anti-Corrosion Compound|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|002508AB||Install New Washers On Left Lower Control Arm Rear Bolt, Check And Adjust Alignment||1.7 Hrs.|
|002508A||Install New Washers On Left Lower Control Arm Rear Bolt And Check Alignment||0.8 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
303000, 304000, 702000, 702100