Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: APRIL 18, 2000|
|1997-2000 MUSTANG, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD|
1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
This TSB is being republished in its entirety to update the vehicles affected and to update the Service Procedure.
Transmission fluid may leak between the radiator transmission oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler fitting (NOT the cooler line into the fitting), which may result in a residue of transmission fluid on the radiator tank around the transmission oil cooler fitting. This may be caused by insufficient thread sealer on the transmission oil cooler fitting.
NOTE: THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKAGE AT THE TRANSMISSION LINE TO TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING.
Install O-ring W705181-S onto the transmission oil cooler fitting. The O-ring is designed to seal the leak and reduce the possibility of transmission fluid leakage. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Verify that transmission fluid is leaking between the transmission oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler fitting (NOT the transmission cooler line fitting into the transmission oil cooler fitting). Refer to Figure 1.
- Remove the radiator from the vehicle following Workshop Manual procedure. Place the radiator on a flat surface so that the transmission oil cooler fittings are facing upward. Refer to Figure 2.
- Clean the area around the transmission oil cooler fitting. This will insure that contaminants do not enter the transmission oil cooler when the transmission oil cooler fittings are removed.
CAUTION: OIL-BASED SOLVENTS AND CLEANERS SHOULD NOT BE USED WHEN CLEANING THE RADIATOR. OIL-BASED SOLVENTS AND CLEANERS CAN DAMAGE THE RADIATOR END TANK SEALS AND CAUSE LEAKS.
- Remove the upper transmission oil cooler fitting.
NOTE: REMOVE ONLY ONE (1) TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING AT A TIME, OTHERWISE THE COOLER MAY DROP INTO THE RADIATOR.
- Once the fitting is removed from the transmission oil cooler, verify that there is a gasket between the transmission oil cooler and the inside of the radiator tank. If there is no gasket, replace the radiator. If the gasket is in place, continue to Step 6.
- Inspect the transmission oil cooler fitting threads for damage. If the threads are damaged, replace the radiator. If the threads show no sign of damage, continue to Step 7.
- Install O-ring W705181-S on the transmission oil cooler fitting. Refer to Figure 2 and Figure 3.
CAUTION: THREAD SEALANT OR TAPE SHOULD NEVER BE USED ON THE THREADS OF THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING. THE USE OF SUCH MATERIALS WILL CREATE A LEAK PATH.
- Making sure that the gasket between the transmission oil cooler and the inside of the radiator tank is still in place, reinstall the transmission oil cooler fitting. The fitting should be torqued to 38-45 N-m (28-33 lb-ft).
NOTE: DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS TO TORQUE THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING. USE A HAND-OPERATED TORQUE WRENCH ONLY.
- Repeat Steps 2-8 for the other transmission oil cooler fitting. This fitting should also have the O-ring replaced even if it is not leaking.
- Make sure that no radiator coolant has entered the transmission oil cooler. Reinstall the radiator in the vehicle following Workshop Manual procedure.
- Verify that both the transmission and the engine cooling system have the proper fluid levels outlined in the Workshop Manual.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|LABOR OPERATION APPLICATION|
|000901A||1998-2000 Ranger 4X2 2.5L MFI – 4X2/4X4 3.0L MFI – 3.0L FFV|
|000901B||1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 5.0L MFI – 1997-2000 Mountaineer 4X2/4X4 5.0L MFI – 1997-2000 Mustang 3.8L MFI, 4.6L MFI – 1998-2000 Navigator 4X2/4X4 5.4L DOHC – 1998-1999 Navigator 4X2/4X4 5.4L MFI – 1997-2000 Expedition 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI – 1997-2000 F-150 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI – 1997-1999 F-250 LD 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI|
|000901C||1999-2000 Super Duty F Series – 1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 4.0L MFI – 1998-2000 Ranger 4X2/4X4 4.0L MFI – 1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 4.0L SOHC – 1998-2000 Mountaineer 4X2/4X4 4.0L SOHC|
|000901D||1997-2000 F-150 4X2/4X4 4.2L MFI – 1997-1999 F-250 LD 4X2/4X4 4.2L MFI|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|000901A||See Table For Application||0.9 Hr.|
|000901B||See Table For Application||1.0 Hr.|
|000901C||See Table For Application||1.1 Hr.|
|000901D||See Table For Application||1.2 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 00-9-1
Figure 2 – Article 00-9-1
Figure 3 – Article 00-9-1