Technical Service Bulletins
|Â Printable View|
3.5L GTDI – INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID OR DAMP CONDITIONS – BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/16/2013
|Publication Date: January 27, 2014|
This article supersedes TSB 12-11-15 to update the vehicle model years, build date, Service Procedure and Parts List.
Some 2013-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) EcoboostÂ® engine, and built on or before 12/16/2013 may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after extended operation at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Acquire Misfire Freeze Frame Data and DTCâ€™s with the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS). Use the following steps with IDS to obtain Misfire Freeze Frame Data.
- Select Toolbox
- Data Logger
- Select the following PIDs:
- Does the misfire concern only occur in humid or damp conditions?
- Yes – proceed to Step 3.
- No – this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
- Does the Misfire Freeze Frame Data indicate engine speed above 2500 rpm and load 100% or above? (Figure 1)
FigureÂ 1Â -Â 14-0017
- Yes – proceed to Step 4.
- No – this article does not apply. Refer to PC/ED manual Section 3: Powertrain Symptom Index to inspect such areas as Ignition, Compression, and Injection.
- Is DTC P0430 present?
- Yes – replace the left hand catalytic converter. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 5.
- No – Proceed to Step 5.
- Is the charge air cooler equipped with a top or bottom air deflector? (Figure 2 and Figure 3)
FigureÂ 2Â -Â 14-0017
FigureÂ 3Â -Â 14-0017
- Yes – remove and discard. Refer to WSM, Section 303-12. Proceed to Step 6.
- No – proceed to Step 6.
NOTEÂ Â PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration level using IDS release 88.03 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BL3Z-5E212-E||Catalytic Converter Assembly|
|W520514-S440||Nuts (2 Req)|