Technical Service Bulletins
3.5L GTDI – HARD START OR NO START – TEMPERATURES BELOW -15 °C (0 °F)
|Publication Date: January 15, 2014|
Some 2011-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with 3.5L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a hard start or no start condition when temperatures are below -15 °Celsius 0 °Fahrenheit.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Is the vehicle equipped with a block heater in the thermostat housing? Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
- Yes – proceed to Step 2.
- No – this article does not apply. Perform normal diagnostics. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.
- Remove the heater and cord and discard. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03.
- Remove the left hand turbocharger. Refer to WSM, Section 303-04E.
- Install a new block heater following the service kit instructions.
- Install the left hand turbocharger. Refer to WSM, Section 303-04E.
It is recommended that the customer plug the block heater in at -15 °C (0 °F) or less to improve cold start.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|DL3Z-6D008-A||Immersion Block Heater Kit|
|W520514-S440||Exhaust Nut (4 Req)|
|BL3Z-6N652-B||Turbo Oil Line Gasket|
|AA5Z-00815-C||Oil Line O-Ring|
|CL3Z-9450-B||Gasket – Exhaust Manifold|
|W715673-S900||Bolt – Turbocharger (3 Req)|
|140010A||2011-2014 F-150 4X2, 2013-2014 F-150 4X4 3.5L GTDI: Install New Block Heater Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||3.1 Hrs.|
|140010A||2011-2012 F-150 4X4 3.5L GTDI: Install New Block Heater Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||3.3 Hrs.|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|