Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: AUGUST 17, 2001|
|1999-2002 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.|
Some Super Duty F53 Motor Home Stripped Chassis vehicles built with a standard 228 inch wheel base may exhibit a driveline drone/vibration condition. This drone has a frequency of 80 Hz to 120 Hz and is most noticable at constant speed or on light acceleration between 80-96 km/h (50-60 mph). This may be caused by an excessive engine/transmission operating angle.
Verify the engine/transmission operating angle is set to the specified angle of 5 degrees. If the engine/transmission operating angle is excessive add shims between the transmission mount and the transmission. Shim housing to raise the rear of the transmission until the 5 degrees is indicated at the engine oil pan rail. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
Vehicle Test Drive:
Test drive the vehicle to verify that the condition is a second order driveline vibration. Conduct this evaluation on a smooth road and use an EVA (Electronic Vibration Analyzer) to insure the correct source of the vibration condition. Refer to TSB 99-11-01 or section 100-04 of the appropriate year F-Super Duty/Excursion/F53 Motorhome Workshop Manual for a description on using the EVA. If the driveline vibration has been verified, proceed as follows:
- Measure the engine/transmission operating angle (as taken from the engine oil pan rail) using an Angle Master. The angle should be approximately 5.0 degrees.
- If the engine/transmission operating angle exceeds 5.0 degrees, remove the fasteners from rear of transmission to transmission mount.
- Install spacers (1C3Z-7C144-AA) between the transmission and the transmission mount to acquire a new driveline angle of 5.0 degrees. Each spacer is worth approximately 0.5 degrees.
- If two or three spacers are required, use the new fastener 390914 S426 (2 inch bolt) and torque to 90 +/- 13 N-m (66 +/- 9 lb-ft). BE SURE to check the depth of the hole in the transmission case before installing the new fastener.
NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL AN EXCESSIVELY LONG BOLT, AS THIS WILL CRACK THE TRANSMISSION CASE.
- Test drive to verify vibration/drone is corrected.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|011703A||Measure Engine And Transmission Angle And Adjust As Necessary (Includes Time For Test Drive Before And After Repair)||1.1 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
597997, 702000, 703000, 703200, 703300
Copyright © 2001 Ford Motor Company