Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: JUNE 8, 2001|
|1999 E-150, E-250, EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD, SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
On some vehicles there may be an oil leak from the right hand head gasket at the rear of the block/head joint. This may be caused by metal chip debris lodged between the head gasket and the block.
Verify oil leak. Inspect for metal chips, impressions or dimples in the metal at the right bank cylinder head and block deck areas behind cylinder 4 at the area of the cast triangular recess in the cylinder head deck. Also inspect around the oil hole breakout in the block deck. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Verify the origin of the oil seep by adding fluorescent dye to the oil. Run the engine for 10 minutes and shut down. Start the engine after a 2 hour soak and run the engine for 10 minutes. Inspect the rear of the right hand cylinder head to block joint with an ultra-violet light (“black light”) for oil stains and drips.
- If the oil seep has been established as coming from the cylinder head to block joint, remove the cylinder head and head gasket per the Workshop Manual.
- Clean both the block and cylinder head decks of residual gasket coating with Motorcraft Metal Surface Cleaner F4AZ-19A536-RA or equivalent.
NOTE: DO NOT USE A METAL TOOL OF ANY KIND ON THE GASKET SEALING SURFACE. RESULTING SCRATCHES WILL PROVIDE A LEAK PATH. USE PLASTIC OR WOOD SCRAPERS ONLY.
- Inspect for the dimples and impressions. (Figure 1 and Figure 2).
- If no permanent damage to the block and cylinder head decks is found, replace the cylinder head gasket using current service replacement parts.
- If damage is found, refer to the CYLINDER HEAD DECKS or CYLINDER BLOCK DECKS Instructions that follow.
CYLINDER HEAD DECKS
If such damage is spotted, check for flatness with a straight edge over the dimple or impression. If the dimple or impression on the head measures over .025mm (.001″) deep, the cylinder head, gasket and bolts should be replaced with new. Refer to the parts listing table that follows.
CYLINDER BLOCK DECKS
Check for flatness with a straight edge over the dimple or impression. If the dimple or impression measures over .025mm (.001″) deep, the engine should be replaced.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XL3Z-6049-DA||Cylinder Head – Expedition, 4.6L/5.4L 2V|
|XL3Z-6049-DA||Cylinder Head – Navigator 5.4L 2V|
|XL3Z-6049-DA||Cylinder Head – F-150/250 5.4L 2V Under 8500 GVW|
|XC2Z-6049-AA||Cylinder Head – Econoline – 5.4L 2V|
|XC2Z-6049-AA||Cylinder Head – Super Duty F-Series 5.4L 2V|
|XC2Z-6049-AA||Cylinder Head – F-250/350 5.4L 2V Over 8500 GVW|
|XR3Z-6051-BA||Head Gasket – Cylinder Head|
|F6AZ-6065-BA||Bolts – Cylinder Head|
|F4AZ-19A536-RA||Motorcraft Metal Surface Cleaner|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Figure 1 – Article 01-12-2
Figure 2 – Article 01-12-2
Copyright Â© 2001 Ford Motor Company