Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: AUGUST 18, 1997|
|1994-1997 MARK VIII|
1994-1997 F-150-350 SERIES, RANGER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to revise model years.
Sheet Molding Composite (SMC) body components that have cosmetic damage, such as scratches, gouges, nicks, blemishes, grazings, etc. that measure less than 1.6mm (0.06″) deep (no more than 50% of the panel thickness), can be repaired with a special adhesive material.
Repair the fiberglass body panel/fiberglass reinforced plastic SMC and polyester resin panels. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||THE FOLLOWING FIBERGLASS REINFORCED PLASTIC REPAIR PROCEDURE IS APPROVED ONLY TO REPAIR ABOVE MENTIONED COSMETIC DAMAGE AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED OR AUTHORIZED FOR STRUCTURALLY DAMAGED PARTS.|
- Clean the surface(s) using wax and grease remover.
- Featheredge damaged area with 320 grit sandpaper to improve adhesion of repair material to substrate.
- Lightly grind out the affected area using a die grinder with a cone-shaped bit or other appropriate tool.
- Featheredge the surface of the surrounding area.
- Blow off affected area thoroughly with clean high pressure air (wear the proper eye and hearing protection).
- Use SMC Repair Kit (F7AZ-54200A40-BA).
- Mix filler material resin and hardener per label instructions.
- Apply the filler material evenly to affected area using the supplied plastic putty knife.
NOTE: DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN OR LAMP TO PROMOTE CURING.
- Allow the repair to cure for 15 minutes.
- After filler is fully cured, sand the filler area flush with 320 grit sandpaper working to blend from the outside surface to the affected area.
CAUTION: WEAR THE PROPER EYE AND HEARING PROTECTION.
- Blow off affected area thoroughly with clean high pressure air.
- Mask off the repair area, mix and apply primer/sealer per manufacturer’s label instruction.
- Sand primer/sealer with 1200 grit paper.
- Mix and apply basecoat material per manufacturer’s label instruction.
- Mix and apply clearcoat material per manufacturer’s label instruction.
- Clean vehicle and return to customer.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F7AZ-54200A40-BA||Sheet Molding Composite (SMC) Repair Kit|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: