Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 12, 1997|
|1994-1997 MUSTANG, THUNDERBIRD|
1993-1997 F-150-350 SERIES, F-47
1994-1997 AEROSTAR, EXPLORER, RANGER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include 1997 F-Series.
Some vehicles may exhibit air conditioner compressor failure due to an insufficient amount of refrigerant oil in the system.
Whenever service is required on the A/C system, add the appropriate refrigerant oil to the system. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||USE MOTORCRAFT YN-9 REFRIGERANT COMPRESSOR OIL FOR 1993 MODELS EQUIPPED WITH AN R-12 SYSTEM. FOR 1994 AND LATER MODELS USING AN R-134a SYSTEM, USE MOTORCRAFT YN-12-B POLYALKYLENE GLYCOL (PAG) REFRIGERANT COMPRESSOR OIL.|
- Remove all refrigerant from the A/C system using the appropriate R-12 or R-134a refrigerant recovery equipment following the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- Service the A/C system as required.
- Check for Modification Label indicating additional refrigerant oil is already in place.
- If no label was found, add additional clean refrigerant oil (over and above the amount of oil required for the system being serviced). The oil may be poured directly into the accumulator assembly or it may be injected by the refrigerant charging station, if so equipped.
- Recharge the A/C system using the appropriate refrigerant.
ADDITIONAL OIL NEEDED Vehicle Additional Oil 1994-97 3.8L Mustang/Thunderbird/Cougar 59 ml (2 oz.) 1993-96 F-Series 118 ml (4 oz.) 1997 F-Series 59 ml (2 oz.) Bronco/Mountaineer 118 ml (4 oz.) Aerostar 59 ml (2 oz.) Ranger/Explorer 59 ml (2 oz.) Econoline 59 ml (2 oz.) with front only and 88.5 ml (3 oz.) with dual Windstar 59 ml (2 oz.) Villager 59 ml (2 oz.) on dual unit only
Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 – obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|YN-9||Refrigerant Oil (R-12 Systems)|
|YN-12-B||Refrigerant Oil (R-134a Systems)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
208000, 208200, 208999