Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 15, 1997|
|1993-1997 PROBE, THUNDERBIRD|
1993-1998 CROWN VICTORIA, ESCORT, MUSTANG, TAURUS
1993-1998 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE, TOWN CAR, TRACER
|1993-1998 ECONOLINE, EXPLORER, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES, RANGER, VILLAGER|
1997-1998 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER
An “On-Vehicle” heater core pressure test is required before replacing any heater core within the warranty period.
Perform the “On-Vehicle” heater core pressure test by referring to the following heater core leak test procedure.
HEATER CORE LEAK TEST PROCEDURE
Use the heater core pressure test to determine if the heater core is leaking. Symptoms associated with a leaking heater core include:
- Engine coolant leaking into the passenger compartment
- Engine coolant blown onto the windshield during defrost operation
- Engine coolant odor inside the passenger compartment
- Partially drain cooling system.
- Disconnect both heater core hoses.
- Attach two (2) pieces of heater hose to the heater core inlet and outlet tubes and clamp (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 97-19-11
- Install Plug (part of 014-R1072) into one (1) heater hose and clamp (Figure 1).
- Fill heater core and hoses with water.
- Install Adapter (part of 014-R1072) into other heater hose and clamp (Figure 1).
- Attach Radiator/Heater Core Pressure Tester (014-R1072) to Adapter (part of 014-R1072) (Figure 1).
- Close the bleed valve and the tester and pump air into the heater core until 241 kPa (35 psi) is reached on the tester gauge.
- Observe the gauge after 3 minutes. The pressure should not drop. If the pressure does drop, there is a leak. Check the hose connections and retest if you find a leak.
- Replace heater core if pressure drops and hose connections do not leak.
- Do not replace heater core if pressure does not drop. Pressure test engine cooling system for leaks elsewhere.
- Reconnect heater core and refill cooling system after all necessary repairs.
HEATER CORE PRESSURE TEST TOOL REQUIREMENTS Tool Description Tool Number Radiator/Heater Core Pressure Tester 014-R1072 Adapter Part of 014-R1072 Plug Part of 014-R1072 Heater Hose Obtain Locally Heater Hose Obtain Locally Hose Clamps Obtain Locally
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
208000, 208100, 208999, 290000, 402000