Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: NOVEMBER 6, 2000|
|1997-2000 F-150, F-250 LD|
Some vehicles may exhibit a no crank/no start condition in temperatures below -12°C (10°F). This may be caused by moisture in the starter solenoid resulting in frozen starter solenoid electrical contacts.
To prevent the possibility of moisture entering the starter under the solenoid and contaminating the electrical contacts, replace the starter solenoid with a revised solenoid and gasket for improved sealing.
|NOTE:||PERFORM ALL NORMAL ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH STARTER REMOVAL. REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 303-06, TO CHECK BATTERY AND ELECTRICAL CONNECTION CONDITION.|
- Remove starter from vehicle (refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 303-06).
- Remove solenoid from starter by removing motor terminal shunt nut. Retain nut.
- Completely loosen the two (2) attaching screws at the base of the solenoid. Screws are captured by motor housing.
- Remove solenoid by sliding away from motor housing, then unhooking the solenoid rod from the motor lever.
- Attach the revised Starter Solenoid (F8ZZ-11390-BA) which has a gasket included by reversing the steps above.
- Hook the revised solenoid rod into the lever “fork,” taking care that the solenoid terminal with silver connecting strap is closest to the motor housing.
- Install solenoid screws and torque to 7.25 ±2.25 N-m (64 ±20 LB-IN).
- Install motor terminal nut and torque to 12 ±3 N-m (106 ±25 LB-IN).
- Reinstall starter into vehicle.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|002308A||Replace Starter Solenoid With Revised Solenoid And Gasket||0.7 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
203000, 203200, 601300, 603300