Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MARCH 3, 1997|
Some low mileage Class “A” motorhomes built on F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis (model F-53) may experience concerns with the speedometer/odometer indicator and also harsh or erratic shifts. This may be caused by the speedometer gear being improperly installed.
Replace the speedometer drive gear and reinstall properly. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Remove speed sensing unit from the parking brake and inspect through the hole for the position of the speedometer gear.
- If the green speedometer gear is not in its proper position to rotate the black sending unit gear, remove the parking brake from the vehicle and continue with the following Steps.
NOTE: IF THE PARKING BRAKE U-JOINT FLANGE IS REMOVED FROM THE DRUM OR THE DRUM IS REMOVED FROM THE MAINSHAFT, BE SURE TO MARK THE COMPONENTS PRIOR TO DISASSEMBLY. THESE PARTS ARE BALANCED AS AN ASSEMBLY AND MUST BE ASSEMBLED IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION.
Refer to Figure 1.
Figure 1 – Article 97-5-15
- Remove the staked nut from the front of the parking brake using Rotunda Tool T70T-4252-D or equivalent.
- Remove the deflector shield.
- Remove the input seal.
- Remove the bearing spacer and O-ring.
- Remove the inner cone and bearing. This bearing is a slip fit bearing and can be removed without damage using two (2) flathead screwdrivers or equivalent.
- Remove the preload shim.
- Remove bearing outer race, using a transmission seal puller.
- Remove the speedometer gear.
- Drain the oil into a suitable container.
- Inspect all parts for damage and repair as required.
- Install new Speedometer Gear (E8TZ-2N598-A). Use a flathead screwdriver or equivalent to make sure all three (3) tabs are fully seated in the retaining groove.
- Reinstall bearing outer race by tapping down with a brass punch until fully seated.
- Reinstall speed sensing unit.
- Add 1.9L (2 quarts) of appropriate Motorcraft MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
- Install the preload shim.
- Pre-lube and install the bearing and inner cone.
- Install the bearing spacer and O-ring (O-ring side toward rear).
- Pre-lube and install new Seal (E8TZ-2L607-A) using Seal Installation Tool T88T-2598-C.
NOTE: SEAL NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED BEYOND THE CHAMFER IN THE HOUSING. IT WILL LEAK IF NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY DUE TO THE SEAL LIP NOT BEING FULLY SEATED ON THE SPACER.
- Install the deflector shield (part number facing out).
- Install the nut and torque to 290 N-m (214 lb-ft).
- Peen the nut collar to the parking brake main shaft. Do not peen where the nut has been peened before.
- Make sure the brakes rotate freely.
- Reinstall parking brake onto the vehicle. Be sure to install a new parking brake-to-extension housing adapter Gasket (E7TZ-7086-A) and six (6) new Bolts (N605804-S100) for parking brake assembly to transmission.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|N605804-S100||Bolts (6 Req’d.)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|970515A||Replace Speed Sensor Drive Gear||2.1 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Copyright © 1997 Ford Motor Company