Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 7, 2003|
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
Article 99-13-2 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate with a false Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1298 (Injector Drive Module (IDM) failure). This may be due to circuit tolerance in the IDM setting DTC P1298 if the battery voltage is low. Vehicle or IDM performance is not affected by this false DTC.
Diagnose customer concern and identify problem area. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Verify battery voltage is greater than 10 volts.
- Perform all Key On Engine Off (KOEO) tests with New Generation Star (NGS) Tester. If codes other than P1298 are retrieved, service all non-P1298 codes as per the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual and go to Step 5. If P1298 is the only code retrieved, go to Step 3 and continue.
- Is the customer concerned with the vehicle cranking good but not starting? If yes, go to Step 4. If no, diagnose as per the PC/ED based on customer concern and go to Step 5.
- Check if glow plug relay is functioning. If yes, refer to the appropriate year Econoline or Super Duty F-Series Workshop Manual for other possible no start conditions. If no, service the glow plug relay. Continue with the remaining Steps.
- Clear codes using NGS Tester.
- Turn the key on and off three (3) times. Each time allow 5 seconds in the “On” state.
- Check codes with NGS Tester by performing the KOEO On-Demand Self-Test.
- If P1298 is retrieved, replace the IDM. Otherwise, refer to the PC/ED for further diagnosis.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XC3Z-12B599-AA||Injector Drive Module (IDM) – Vehicles built 12/7/1998 to 4/12/1999|
|F7TZ-12B599-AA||Injector Drive Module (IDM) – Vehicles built prior to 12/7/1998|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: