Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: February 21, 2005|
|1997-1999 F-250 LD|
1999-2004 F-Super Duty
Some 1997-2005 5.4L 2V vehicles may exhibit an intermittent rough idle. This may be due to non-commanded EGR flow.
EGR flow can be detected by comparing the stabilized DPFEGR KOER voltage (from NGS/WDS) at idle after manually opening and closing the EGR valve through 8 cycles. Record the DPFEGR voltage after each cycle. If the DPFEGR voltage increases by 0.03V or more from the stabilized idle voltage and is associated with a rough idle, the valve should be replaced. Refer to the following Service Procedure.
- Connect NGS/WDS and monitor DPFEGR PID.
- Record initial stabilized DPFEGR voltage.
- Disconnect the EGR valve vacuum line and connect hand held vacuum pump.
- Raise RPM to prevent stalling and fully open the EGR valve.
- Fully close valve and return to idle.
- Record stabilized DPFEGR voltage.
- Repeat Steps 4-6, eight (8) times.
- If voltage increases by 0.03V or more with an associated rough idle condition during any of the cycles, the EGR valve may be sticking. Lightly tap the EGR valve casting and observe if voltage returns to initial DPFEGR value.
- If the DPFEGR voltage returns to the initial value and the associated rough idle is gone replace the EGR valve.
- If there is no change in DPFEGR voltage do not replace the EGR valve and perform normal diagnostics.
- If the EGR valve is replaced repeat Steps 3-6, two (2) times to verify fix.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|050417A||1997-2005 Econoline 5.4L 2V: Replace The EGR Valve (Includes Time To Follow The Specific Diagnostic Steps Using WDS) (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30)||0.9 Hr.|
|050417A||2000-2004 F250/350 5.4L 2V, 2000-2005 Excursion 5.4L 2V, 1998-1999 Navigator 5.4L 2V, 1998-2002 Expedition 5.4L 2V: Replace The EGR Valve (Includes Time To Follow The Specific Diagnostic Steps Using WDS) (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30)||1.0 Hr.|
|050417A||1999 F250/F350 5.4L 2V, 1999-2004 F-150 5.4L 2V SC, 1997-2004 F-150 5.4L 2V, 2003-2004 Expedition 5.4L 2V: Replace The EGR Valve (Includes Time To Follow The Specific Diagnostic Steps Using WDS) (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30)||1.1 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company