Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: OCTOBER 29, 1999|
|1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
The vehicle owner may report a need for a higher axle weight rating or may raise a concern that the axle weight rating is less than anticipated.
Provide an overlay for the Safety Compliance Certification Label which will specify higher tire pressures and increased front and/or rear Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWRs). Refer to the following text and Service Procedure for increasing GAWR.
On several vehicle configurations, increasing the specified tire pressures will provide higher axle weight ratings on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The exact increase in weight rating is dependent on the model, cab type, and option content of the specific vehicle. Increasing the tire pressure will not increase the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).
AFFECTED VEHICLE BUILD DATES
Vehicle(s) built from January 5, 1998 to November 1, 1998
- F-250/350 Pickups equipped with snowplow, camper, or heavy duty suspension option
- F-350 Chassis Cabs
- F-450 and F-550
Vehicle(s) built from January 5, 1998 to May 28, 1999
- F-250/350 Pickups without snowplow, camper, or heavy duty suspension option.
- Dealership personnel are to record the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), front and rear GAWR specifications listed in lbs., dealers P&A code, build date listed on the GAWR label and then call and report the information to an analyst. Call 1-888-745-3714 (248-740-0605) between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. ET Monday through Friday.
- At that time, the analyst will immediately determine if an increase in front or rear GAWR can be provided.
- If an increase in tire pressures will not increase the GAWR, inform the customer that this is not available for their vehicle.
- If the GAWR can be increased, the analyst will print a label overlay and advise the dealer that they will receive the new label information by first class mail in approximately 5 days.
- The label overlay is provided in two parts (Figure 1).
- The lower portion of the label contains only the VIN for reference. It is not to be applied to the vehicle.
- Verify that the VIN on the vehicle and the new label match.
- The upper portion of the label contains the revised GAWR and tire pressure information. The upper portion is to be applied over the similar upper portion of the existing label on the B-pillar. The last eight (8) digits of the VIN are printed in the top edge of the overlay.
NOTE: THE ADHESIVE ON THE BACK OF THIS LABEL IS PATTERNED WITH A SELF-DESTRUCT MECHANISM. ONCE PLACED ON THE VEHICLE, IT CAN NOT BE REMOVED OR REPOSITIONED. TAKE CARE WHEN POSITIONING THIS LABEL ON THE VEHICLE PRIOR TO AFFIXING.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|992302A||Affix New Label Over Upper Right Portion Of Existing Label||0.3 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 99-23-2
Copyright ¬© 1999 Ford Motor Company