Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 10, 2011|
|2011-2012 F-Super Duty|
This article supersedes TSB 11-6-10 to update the vehicle model years, Issue Statement, Service Procedure, Service Labor Time Standards and Part List.
Some 2011-2012 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P1291 and/or P1292 due to an internally shorted fuel injector. An internal short in a fuel injector may be caused by the fuel being contaminated with diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), or by fuel gelling.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Remove the fuel conditioning module mounted filter. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 310-01.
- Allow the filter and filter bowl to dry for two hours. Did the filter and or filter bowl turn white? (Figures 1 and 2)
Figure 1 – Article 11-10-10
Figure 2 – Article 11-10-10
- No – proceed to Step 3.
- Yes – Do not continue with this article. Fuel contamination is non-warrantable. The concern was caused by the fuel being contaminated with DEF. The complete high pressure fuel system and diesel fuel control module (DFCM) will need to be replaced. The base fuel system will need to be flushed. Refer to WSM, Section 303-04C for fuel system replacement.
- Inspect the engine wiring harness (12B637) for wire chafes near the EGR cooler. Was a chafe present? (Figure 3)
Figure 3 – Article 11-10-10
- No – proceed to Step 4.
- Yes – repair as necessary. Vehicles built on or before 5/26/2010: position the metal EGR cooler gasket tab eyelet rearward and flush with the cooler housing. Release vehicle.
- Electrically disconnect each fuel injector for the suspect DTC P1291 injectors 1, 4, 6, 7 and/or DTC P1292 injectors 2, 3, 5, 8.
- Check for continuity between the injector electrical pins and the injector body, is continuity present?
- No – do not continue with this article, Refer to Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) Manual for normal diagnostics.
- Yes – replace all eight (8) fuel injectors and the injector return hose. Refer to WSM, Section 303-04C.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BC3Z-9A564-A||Injector Return Hose|
|BC3Z-9H529-A||Fuel injector (Cylinders 1, 2, 7, 8)|
|BC3Z-9H529-B||Fuel injector (Cylinders 3, 4, 5, 6)|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|111010A||2011-2012 F-Super Duty 6.7L Single Rear Wheel: Inspect Fuel Conditioning Module, Engine Wiring Harness, Test And Replace The Fuel Injectors, And The Injector Return Hose||4.7 Hrs.|
|111010B||2011-2012 F-Super Duty 6.7L Dual Rear Wheel: Inspect Fuel Conditioning Module, Engine Wiring Harness Test And Replace The Fuel Injectors, And The Injector Return Hose||4.9 Hrs|
|MT111010||Claim Actual Time For Engine Wire Harness Repairs||Actual Time|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|