Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: April 20, 2005|
2004-2006 Crown Victoria, Focus, Mustang, Taurus
2005-2006 Five Hundred, Ford GT, Freestyle
2004-2005 Excursion, Explorer Sport Trac
2004-2006 Econoline, Escape, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-250, F-Super Duty, Freestar, Ranger
2005-2006 Escape Hybrid
2004-2006 F-650, F-750
|2004-2006 LS, Town Car|
2006 Mark LT
2004-2006 Grand Marquis
2004-2006 Monterey, Mountaineer
This article supersedes TSB 04-20-7 to update the vehicle model years and to add a caution about air bag deployment doors.
Ford Motor Company has adopted a new premium interior paint formulation that has significantly improved performance properties. When used as directed, the product preserves the original grain pattern of the plastic, is UV stable color fast, and is completely flexible. It will not crack, flake, or peel. Motorcraft Interior Spray Paint, PM-19M547-XXXXH (XXXX = Color Code), can be used for both paint-to-match and repair procedures.
It is important to follow the product application directions, especially in determining which interior plastic trim parts can be painted, and when plastic adhesion promoter is required. Adhesion promoter is required prior to color coating when the interior trim plastic is a hard plastic (e.g. ATC, Pure PP, PC-ABS). DO NOT use adhesion promoter or equivalent prior to color coating soft plastic (e.g. Cast PVC, PVC-ABS).
|CAUTION:||DO NOT REPAIR OR REPAINT AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT COVERS (DOORS).|
- Refer to the following chart to determine if the interior plastic trim part can be painted (repaired and/or painted-to-match), and if adhesion promoter is required prior to painting. Note the important exceptions listed at the bottom of the chart.
Figure 1 – Article 05-9-3
- If adhesion promoter is required, proceed to “USING ADHESION PROMOTER”.
- If adhesion promoter is not required, proceed to “USING INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT”.
NOTE: PROPER SURFACE PREPARATION MUST BE PERFORMED BEFORE ANY ADHESION PROMOTER OR PAINT PRODUCT IS APPLIED. THOROUGHLY CLEAN SURFACE TO BE COATED. REMOVE ANY GREASE, DIRT, POLISH, MOISTURE, ETC. WITH A WAX AND GREASE REMOVER, BY WIPING IN ONE DIRECTION. TO ENSURE PROPER ADHESION, IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL SILICONE, CONDITIONERS, AND EXISTING PAINT (OTHER THAN THIS SAME PRODUCT) BE REMOVED PRIOR TO APPLICATION. MASK OFF AREAS TO BE PROTECTED FROM OVERSPRAY.
USING ADHESION PROMOTER
- For best results, use only when the product and surface temperatures are between 60-92° F (15-33° C). In cases of high humidity, apply the adhesion promoter in a spray booth or controlled climate. If not an option, use a hair dryer or fan to create air movement to speed the adhesion promoter curing process.
- Shake can vigorously for one full minute before use and repeat for ten seconds after each full minute of use.
- Test spray on a hidden area before proceeding.
- To spray, hold can 6-10 inches from the surface and spray a full wet coat with a steady back and forth motion. Be sure all areas of the surface are covered. Observe for uniform gloss across the surface while adhesion promoter is still wet.
- Allow adhesion promoter to dry 2-3 minutes and then apply a second wet coat. Allow adhesion promoter to dry 2-3 minutes.
- Apply the color coat as soon as possible after second coat of adhesion promoter dries, preferably within 10 minutes. Refer to “USING INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT”.
|NOTE:||AFTER USE, INVERT THE CAN AND SPRAY FOR 4 SECONDS TO CLEAN VALVE. IF SPRAY BUTTON BECOMES CLOGGED, WHILE WEARING EYE PROTECTION, WIPE OFF ORIFICE WITH LACQUER THINNER. DO NOT STICK PINS OR WIRE INTO CAN OPENING.|
USING INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT
- For best results, use only when the product and surface temperatures are between 60-92° F (15-33° C). In cases of high humidity, blushing may occur. To alleviate this problem, apply paint in a spray booth or controlled climate. If not an option, use a hair dryer or fan to create air movement to speed the paint curing process.
- Shake can vigorously for two full minutes before use.
- Apply to a small area to verify color match before painting entire surface.
- Hold can vertically 12 inches from surface to be painted. Apply paint in light mist coats using even strokes from side to side (stop spraying at the end of strokes).
- Apply 2 to 3 mist coats, allowing approximately 10 minutes between coats. Heavy coats will result in patchiness and runs and may trap solvents, resulting in improper curing.
- Each 6 oz. can covers approximately 5-7 square feet of surface.
|NOTE:||AFTER USE, INVERT THE CAN AND SPRAY UNTIL ONLY CLEAR GAS IS EMITTED. DO NOT STICK PINS OR WIRE INTO CAN OPENING.|
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|PM-19A316-AA||Motorcraft Adhesion Promoter|
|PM-19M547-XXXXH||Motorcraft Interior Spray Paint (XXXX = Color Code)|