Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 20, 2005|
|2004-2005 Excursion, F-Super Duty|
This article supercedes TSB 05-14-8 to update the Service Procedure.
Some 2004-2005 F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles built 4/1/2004 through 2/20/2005 equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit an oil leak from the cold side charge air cooler (CAC) duct connections, or low power/low boost performance due to the plastic charge air cooler duct becoming disconnected (blowing off).
Determine the specific issue with the CAC duct on the vehicle that is being serviced, and perform one (1)of the following:
- If the CAC duct has separated from the engine intake manifold, or leaks oil excessively at the engine intake manifold elbow connection, install a reinforcing ring. Refer to the Reinforcing Ring Installation Service Procedure.
- If the CAC duct has separated from the CAC, leaks oil excessively at the CAC connection, or has a hole or other defect in the duct, replace the duct with a CAC Metal Duct Kit. Refer to the Metal Duct Kit Installation Service Procedure.
|NOTE:||OIL FOUND IN 6.0L CAC SYSTEM MAY BE GREATER THAN AMOUNTS PREVIOUSLY FOUND IN THE 7.3L ENGINE, DUE TO HIGHER BOOST LEVELS. A RESTRICTED AIR FILTER CAN ALSO CONTRIBUTE TO GREATER AMOUNTS OF OIL IN THE CAC SYSTEM. ENGINE OPERATION WITH A RESTRICTED AIR FILTER INCREASES THE AIR FLOW THROUGH THE OIL SEPARATOR, LEADING TO GREATLY INCREASED OIL IN THE BLOW-BY GAS AND RESULTING IN OIL PUDDLING IN THE DUCTS. PROPER AIR FILTER MAINTENANCE IS IMPORTANT. DUSTINESS AROUND THE CAC DUCT CONNECTIONS IS CONSIDERED NORMAL.|
|NOTE:||IF A CAC DUCT CLAMP IS BROKEN, A SERVICE CLAMP IS AVAILABLE (1C3Z-6K786-BA). IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ORDER A DUCT KIT TO OBTAIN A CLAMP.|
REINFORCING RING INSTALLATION
- Clean the connecting port and the inside surface of the duct that is being serviced with Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner (PM-4).
- Place the reinforcing ring in the groove under the clamp at the engine end of the duct. Place the gap in the ring on the side of the duct opposite from where the bolt on the clamp will be located (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 05-22-3
- After installing the engine end of the duct, position the internal bead of the duct into the groove in the engine elbow and hand torque the clamp to 106 lb-in (12 N-m).
CAUTION: DO NOT OVER-TORQUE THE CLAMP.
- Verify the torque on the CAC end of the duct is 106 lb-in (12 N-m).
METAL DUCT KIT INSTALLATION
- Remove residue from both connecting ports and the inside surface on both ends of the duct with Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner (PM-4).
- Install CAC Metal Duct Kit.
- After installing new duct on both ports, position the internal bead of the duct into the groove in the engine elbow. Hand torque the clamp to 106 lb-in (12 N-m).
- Push the other end squarely and fully onto the CAC port. Hand torque the clamp to 106 lb-in (12 N-m).
NOTE: MAKE SURE THAT THE CLAMP BOLT IS POSITIONED SO THAT IT WILL NOT BE STRUCK BY THE HOOD WHEN CLOSED.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|6C3Z-6C640-AA||Metal Duct Kit|
|PM-4||Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|052203A||2004-2005 F Super Duty, Excursion: Install Reinforcing Ring Following Service Procedure (Do not use with 6646A, 9600A)||0.4 hr|
|052203B||2004-2005 F Super Duty, Excursion: Install Metal Duct Kit Following Service Procedure (Do not use with 6646A, 9600A)||0.4 hr|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|