Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: May 25, 2005|
|2004 F-Super Duty|
Some 2004 F-Series Super Duty equipped with 5.4L or 6.8L engine and manual transmission, may exhibit a buck/jerk, surge, or hesitation.
Verify there are no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) using NGS. If DTCs are found follow normal PC/ED diagnostics. If no DTCs are found, or normal PC/ED diagnostics do not resolve DTCs, road test and monitor the VSS PID while the concern is occurring. If a VSS spike is observed, install a ferrite bead in Circuit 351 at the PCM connector using the following Service Procedure.
- Road test and monitor the VSS PID while the concern is occurring.
- If a VSS spike is observed, perform the following steps:
- Disconnect 12 volt battery.
- Remove LH rear under hood wiring bracket (2C3T-14A206-AF) PIA to 12A581 front end wiring. This will aid in access to PCM connector.
- Disconnect 104-way PCM connector.
- Remove PCM connector red locking plate.
- Locate PCM Pin-90 (Circuit 351, brown with white stripe).
- Remove Pin-90 wire and terminal from connector body with a small pick.
- Slide ferrite bead over terminal onto wire.
- Reinstall terminal and wire into PCM connector body keeping the ferrite bead outside of the connector shell.
- Replace red locking plate.
- Tape bead to Circuit 351 to position and hold the bead against 104-way PCM connector hard shell back.
- Reinstall PCM connector.
- Reinstall under hood wiring bracket.
- Reconnect battery and retest.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|051110A||2004 F-Series Super Duty 5.4L Or 6.8L Engine: Manual Transmission Install Ferrite Bead Following TSB Procedure||1.8 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|