Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: FEBRUARY 15, 1999|
1999 F-250 HD, F-350, SUPER DUTY F SERIES
A “rattling” noise in the converter housing area when the torque converter clutch is not engaged may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by impact between the converter piston and cover spline teeth internal to the cover.
Replace the torque converter. The revised torque converter incorporates a new piston and damper design which reduces the possibility of impact between the clutch piston and cover spline teeth. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||DO NOT USE THIS CONVERTER TO FIX OTHER CONVERTER ISSUES. THIS CONVERTER IS SPECIFICALLY FOR REPAIR OF 1998 AND 1999 DIESEL RATTLE ISSUES AS MENTIONED IN THIS TSB.|
- Run self test and repair and diagnose any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present before continuing.
- If rattling is still present, place the transmission gear selector lever in Park.
- Using a breakout box, ground Pin 54 (TCC). This will fully apply the torque converter clutch.
- Cycle the torque converter clutch on and off a few times by applying and removing the ground to Pin 54.
- If the rattling/scrapping noise is not present when the converter is applied (Pin 54 grounded), replace the Torque Converter (XL3Z-7902-DARM).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|990305A||Perform Diagnostics And Replace Torque Converter (4X2)||3.2 Hrs.|
|990305B||Perform Diagnostics And Replace Torque Converter (4X4)||4.1 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
504000, 597997, 702000, 702100