Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MARCH 27, 1995|
|1995-1996 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES|
A coolant leak may occur at the radiator hose joints. This can be caused by:
- Debris on the sealing surface
- Misassembly of the hose and/or clamp
- Defective or damaged hose clamp
Refer to the following procedures for diagnosis and repair.
“Mega” hose clamps are to be used, if needed, because they have 30% more clamping force than clamps used in the past. They expand and contract with the thermal cycling of the joint, thus retaining their clamp load and efficiently sealing the joint over long periods of time. The screw-type dual-wire and worm gear style band clamps are less robust under climatic and system thermal cycling.
|NOTE:||THE “MEGA” CLAMPS WERE SPECIFICALLY SIZED FOR 1995 AND LATER VEHICLES. THEY ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR VEHICLES BEFORE THE 1995 MODEL YEAR BECAUSE THE JOINT SEAL CONFIGURATION AND DIMENSIONS ARE DIFFERENT.|
|NOTE:||IF A 1995 VEHICLE IS RECEIVED WITH A DUAL-WIRE CLAMP, REPLACE IT WITH A COMPARABLE BAND CLAMP.|
- Pressure test the system to determine the location of the leak. Proceed with the following steps only if it is a radiator hose joint that is leaking.
- Reseat the clamp by using a pair of pliers or vise grips to squeeze the clamp tangs together (loosen the clamp), reseat the hose, then re-release the clamp. Pay close attention that the clamp is straight (perpendicular to the hose) and is not cocked over the bead (Figure 1).
Figure 1 – Article 95-6-16
- Pressure test the system again. If the leak persists, check the radiator hose clamp for damage. If damage is observed, replace the damaged part per the following installation steps. The clamps to be used are as follows:
“MEGA” HOSE CLAMPS CLAMP PART NUMBER DIAMETER OF CONNECTOR F5TZ-8287-A (constant tension) 1-1/2″ F5TZ-8287-B (constant tension) 1-3/4″ F5TZ-8287-C (constant tension) 2″ F5TZ-8287-D (dual-wire) 2″
- If only the clamp is to be removed, residual glue (located 180° away from the tangs) may exist on the hose. The glue will generally dissipate over time with the thermal cycling of the engine. If necessary, remove the glued clamp by applying a heat gun at 420°F (215°C) to the glued portion for approximately 1 minute. If any foreign material remains on (or if any material is removed from) the hose, a sealing discontinuity will result and the hose must be replaced.
Proper installation of the hose and clamp is essential for the joint to be effective. The following steps should be taken to ensure a robust hose joint.
ENSURING A ROBUST HOSE JOINT
- Push the hose onto the connector until it is completely seated against the hose stop.
- Release the “Mega” clamp by carefully removing the retaining clip using pliers or vise grips. During removal, the clip should be held securely at all times. Do not pry or pop the clip off the clamp.
- Check that the clamp is straight, fully released and seated on the sealing area of the hose and connector. The clamp should not be partially or completely cocked over or on top of the bead at the end of the connector. The connector, radiator hose and clamp are shown in Figure 1.
APPLICATION CHART ENGINE RADIATOR HOSE LOCATION RADIATOR HOSE PART NUMBER HOSE CLAMP (ENGINE END) HOSE CLAMP (RAD. END) 1995 ECONOLINE 4.9L UPPER F5UZ-8260-D F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-A 4.9L LOWER F5UZ-8286-E F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 5.0/5.8L UPPER F5UZ-8260-B F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-A 5.0L LOWER F5UZ-8286-B F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 5.8L LOWER F5UZ-8286-C F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 7.5L UPPER F5UZ-8260-A F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-A 7.5L LOWER F5UZ-8286-A F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 7.3L DIT UPPER F5UZ-8260-C F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 7.3L DIT* LOWER F5UZ-8286-D F5TZ-8287-C F5TZ-8287-B 1996 ECONOLINE (CARRYOVER UNLESS SPECIFIED) 7.5L LOWER F5UA-8286-AEA F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 1995 F-SERIES/BRONCO 4.9L UPPER F5TZ-8260-F F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-B 4.9L LOWER F5TZ-8286-E F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 5.0/5.8L UPPER F5TZ-8260-B F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-B 5.8L (LIGHTNING ONLY) UPPER F5TZ-8260-B F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-B 5.0L LOWER F5TZ-8286-B F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 5.8L LOWER F5TZ-8286-C F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 7.5L UPPER F5TZ-8286-A F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-B 7.5L LOWER F5TZ-8286-A F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B 1995 F-SERIES/BRONCO POST JOB #1 7.3L DIT** UPPER F5TZ-8260-E F5TZ-8287-A F5TZ-8287-B 7.3L DIT** LOWER F5TZ-8286-G F5TZ-8287-C F5TZ-8287-D 1996 F-SERIES/BRONCO (CARRYOVER UNLESS SPECIFIED) 7.5L LOWER F5TA-8286-AAA F5TZ-8287-B F5TZ-8287-B
* “Mega” clamps in production as a 1995 running change.
** “Mega” clamps in production as a 1995 Post Job #1 change.
NOTE: THE “MEGA” CLAMPS WERE SPECIFICALLY SIZED FOR 1995 AND LATER VEHICLES. THEY ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOR VEHICLES BEFORE THE 1995 MODEL YEAR BECAUSE THE JOINT SEAL CONFIGURATION AND DIMENSIONS ARE DIFFERENT.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F5TZ-8287-A||Hose Clamp (1-1/2″)|
|F5TZ-8287-B||Hose Clamp (1-3/4″)|
|F5TZ-8287-C||Hose Clamp (2″)|
|F5TZ-8287-D||Hose Clamp (2″) – Dual-Wire|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|950616A||Pressure Test Cooling System, Reseat Clamps As Required||0.3 Hr.|
|950616B||Additional Time To Replace One (1) Clamp||0.3 Hr.|
|950616C||Additional Time To Replace Two (2) Or More Clamps||0.4 Hr.|
|950616D||Additional Time To Replace Upper Or Lower Radiator Hose||0.4 Hr.|
|950616E||Additional Time To Replace Both Radiator Hoses||0.5 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|