Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: JUNE 15, 1999|
|1999 SUPER DUTY F-250, SUPER DUTY F-350|
Premature rear wheel inner brake pad wear may occur on some vehicles used in severe duty applications. This may be due to dirt and debris accumulating on the inboard rotor friction surface. The air scoop on the dust shield allows dirt and debris to accumulate on the rotor inner surface resulting in excessive wear of the inboard brake pad.
Install additional shield to prevent debris from entering the caliper slide. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||THIS ADD-ON SHIELD IS FOR 1999 MODEL YEAR SUPER DUTY F-250/350 VEHICLES THAT EXHIBIT PREMATURE REAR LINING WEAR AND IS DESIGNED TO FIT BOTH SIDES (LEFT AND RIGHT). THE SCOOP ON THE FACTORY SHIELD WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE BEFORE INSTALLING THE ADDITIONAL SHIELD.|
- Remove rear wheels.
- Remove the two (2) anchor plate bolts and the calipers as an assembly and support them from the rear axle. For additional information, refer to the 1999 Super Duty F-Series Workshop Manual, Section 206-04.
- Remove rotors.
- Place the provided Shield (XC3Z-2B636-AA) on the factory dust shield (original one) with the rib points to the rotor side (so it can protect the rotor from dirt).
- Position the new shield so that it is centered and evenly spaced over the factory shield and evenly spaced at the caliper opening.
- Temporarily install rotor to be sure there is no contact with the add-on shield (approximate clearance between shield and rotor edge should be 5-7mm) and make sure the add-on shield covers the factory shield at both ends evenly. Refer to Figure 1.
- Locate the four (4) rivet hole positions on the factory dust shield, mark the positions. Drill four (4) 5mm (3/16″) holes. Refer to Figure 2.
- Cut the dust shield air scoop off the passenger side factory dust shield. Cut the scoop 51x102mm (2″ long by 4″ wide). Refer to Figure 3.
- Rivet the add-on shield to the factory shield using W525106-S427 rivets.
- Place the rotor back on the hub making sure the add-on shield does not touch the rotor at any point around the shield (there should be approximately a 5mm (0.20″) gap between edge of shield and rotor).
- Reinstall the anchor plate and caliper assembly. Torque the bolts to 173 N-m (128 lb-ft).
- Install new Pads (F81Z-2200-AA) and reinstall rear wheels.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|991306A||Install Shields||0.8 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 99-13-6
Figure 2 – Article 99-13-6
Figure 3 – Article 99-13-6