Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 22, 1999|
|1997-1998 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the Service Procedure.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0133, P0171 and/or P1131 may be stored in memory. Additionally, there may be one or more of the following driveability symptoms:
- Rough idle
- Near stall or stall at idle
- Detonation on acceleration
This may be caused by cold condensate from the A/C system dripping onto the Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) sensor causing thermocycling of the HEGO sensor.
Divert water from dripping onto the sensor by installing a fabricated drain tube to the end of the A/C drain. This should reroute the water and reduce the possibility of the above conditions occurring. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
Fabricate a drain tube from PCV Vent Tube (F85Z-6758-BA). To create the drain tube extension, remove the rubber cylinder from the plastic tube and discard. Cut the plastic tube (Figure 1).
- Remove the transmission fluid level indicator.
- Remove the right front wheel.
- Remove the right front fender well splash guard.
- Clean the area around the transmission filler tube and then remove the tube. Be sure to cover the hole using duct tape (or equivalent) to prevent contaminants from entering the transmission.
- Replace the right front HEGO Sensor (F88Z-9F472-AB) and leave the connector disconnected.
- Modify the PCV vent tube (Figure 1) to make a drain for the A/C condensate drain.
- Using needle nose pliers or equivalent, stretch the drain tube elbow fitting for ease of installation.
- Refer to Figure 1 and fabricate a tool using a 61×2.5 cm (24×1″) I.D. pipe as shown.
- Lubricate the elbow with water.
NOTE: DO NOT USE SILICONE TO LUBRICATE THE ELBOW AS IT WILL FALL OFF.
- Using the tool, install the modified drain tube at the 7:00 position toward the frame (Figure 2).
- Clean the transmission filler tube.
NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE O-RING AS THIS COULD CREATE LEAKS OR ALLOW CONTAMINATION INTO THE TRANSMISSION.
- Lightly lubricate the transmission filler tube O-ring with petroleum jelly and reinstall the tube into the transmission.
- Torque the bolt to 11-14 N-m (8-10 lb-ft).
NOTE: MAKE SURE THE BODY SIDE HEGO WIRING CONNECTOR IS IN THE LOCATOR HOLE IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD.
- Connect the right front HEGO sensor connector.
- Start the vehicle and verify water flow direction. Make sure no condensation drips onto the exhaust manifold bolt.
- Reinstall the right front splash guard.
- Reinstall the right front wheel.
- Clean and reinstall the transmission fluid level indicator.
NOTE: DEALERS MUST ALSO PERFORM TSB 97-26-19 TO REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F85Z-6758-BA||PCV Vent Tube|
|F88Z-9F472-AB||Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) Sensor|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|000107A||Install Water Diverter Tube And Replace Right Front HEGO Sensor||0.9 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
607000, 607400, 608000, 608400, 611000, 611500, 612500, 612600, 615000, 615500, 698298
Figure 1 – Article 00-1-7
Figure 2 – Article 00-1-7