Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: February 20, 2013|
This article supersedes TSB 12-3-14 to update production fix date and Service Procedure.
Some 2011-2012 F-150 vehicles equipped with 3.5L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine and built on or before 5/24/2012 may exhibit an intermittent malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0234.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Is the vehicle built on or before 1/17/2012?
- Yes – proceed to Step 2.
- No – proceed to Step 10.
- Remove the engine appearance cover.
- Remove the turbocharger vacuum regulator solenoid mounted on the right side of the upper intake manifold. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 13-2-14
- Remove the vacuum tee and vacuum supply hose connecting the turbocharger vacuum regulator solenoid to the upper intake manifold. (Figure 2)
Figure 2 – Article 13-2-14
- Disconnect the vacuum supply hose from the vacuum tee.
- Insure the vacuum supply hose is clear of any internal contamination.
- Trim any exposed plastic material flashing off the vacuum tee using a razor blade or equivalent tool. (Figure 3)
Figure 3 – Article 13-2-14
- Install the vacuum tee and vacuum supply hose.
- Install a new Turbocharger Vacuum Regulator Solenoid.
- Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 83.01 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|BL3Z-9K378-A||Turbocharger Vacuum Regulator Solenoid|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
|130214A||2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM Includes Time To Clear Codes After Repair (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.4 Hr.|
|130214B||2011-2012 F-150 3.5L GTDI: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM, Replace The Waste Gate Regulator Solenoid Includes Time To Clean The Vacuum Tee and Clear Codes After Repair (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.7 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|