Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: March 13, 2007|
Some 2004-2007 F-150 Lobo vehicles (Ford Of Mexico Only) may encounter a concern with the rear axle tube fracturing/cracking at the attachment joint of the center axle carrier. Some seepage or leakage in this area may be an early indication of this concern. Severe wash board road conditions found in Senora Mexico contribute to this axle condition.
A revised/redesigned rear axle housing has been developed to resolve this concern.
- The vehicle rear brakes and calipers will need to be transferred to the new housing.
- Replace the vehicle's ring and pinion gears.
- The new axle housing will include the outer axle shaft seals and bearings.
NOTE: THE AXLE REPAIR KIT DOES INCORPORATE MOST PARTS REQUIRED FOR A COMPREHENSIVE AXLE REPAIR.
THE AXLE SERVICE KIT INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS:
- 4630 – Head Bearing
- 4628 – Head Bearing Cup
- 4676 – Pinion Seal
- 386989-S2 – Washer (Slinger)
- 4621 – Tail Bearing
- 4616 – Tail Bearing Cup
- 4222 – Differential Bearing Cups
- 4221 – Differential Bearings
- 4209 – Gear Set (includes pinion shims, pinion nut and crush spacer)
- 4209 – Instruction Sheet
- XG-14 – Motorcraft High Contrast Hypoid Gear Marking Compound
- 4067 – Differential Shims 0.241″ to 0.307″
- XY-75W140-QL – Motorcraft SAE 75-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant
- XL-3 – Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier (Limited Slip Axles Only)
- W710084-S439 – Wheel End Nuts
- 390266-S100 – Differential Slave Pin Bolt (9.75″ axles)
- ZC-21 – Motorcraft Metal Surface Cleaner
- TA-29 – Motorcraft Ultra Silicone Sealant
- TA-27 – Stud and Bearing Mount Retaining Compound and Sealer
- F3TZ-4121-AA – Fluid Tag (REQUIRED IF FLUID TYPE IS CHANGED FROM FEHP DURING REPAIR)
|NOTE:||THE KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS. SOME OR ALL OF THESE ITEMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE AXLE SERVICE, DEPENDING ON AXLE APPLICATION/STYLE.|
Axle Housing Removal
- With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. (Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02)
- Remove the vehicle rear tires and wheels.
- Remove the axle assembly from the vehicle. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Remove the differential carrier from the axle housing. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Lower the axle assembly from the vehicle and position it in a suitable fixture.
- Remove the axle shaft. WSM, Section 205-02B in vehicle service Step 5-77.
- Remove the differential case and Ring Gear. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Remove the Pinion from the axle housing. (WSM, Section 205-02B Steps 9-14 for removal)
- Install the pinion gear in the housing. (WSM, Section 205-02B2)
- Install the differential case and ring gear. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Check the gear pattern on the ring gear (Diagnosis and Testing, WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Install the axle shaft. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Raise the axle assembly back into the vehicle.
- Install the axle assembly back in the vehicle. (WSM, Section 205-02B)
- Install the vehicles rear tires and wheels.
- Install axle fluid in to the housing.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|M7L34-4995-MA||Axle Housing Asy|
|5L3Z-4209-F||Rear Axle Kit – 9.75″ Ring Gear/3.73 ratio|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|MT070605||Operation MT: Use SLTS Operations If Available; Claim Additional Diagnosis Or Labor Performed As Actual Time||Actual Time|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|