Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 11, 2003|
|2001-2004 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, E SERIES, EXPEDITION, F-150|
|2001-2004 TOWN CAR|
|2001-2004 GRAND MARQUIS|
This article supersedes TSB 03-16-4 to update the engine, engine build date and part numbers.
Some vehicles, equipped with the Romeo built 4.6L 2V engine, with an “ENGINE BUILD DATE” prior to 9/17/2003 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel well area and may not be heard with the hood open.
Follow the Service Procedure listed in this article to properly evaluate/diagnose the vehicle condition.
|NOTE:||THIS ARTICLE APPLIES ONLY TO VEHICLES WITH A “ROMEO ENGINE” BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003 (ENGINE BUILD DATE NOT VEHICLE BUILD DATE). THE ENGINE BUILD DATE IS TYPICALLY FOUND ON THE ENGINE LABEL LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER.|
- Verify the source of the noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the cylinder head near the exhaust ports.
- Verify that the noise is heard in the exhaust system (in the wheel well or catalytic converter area, from underneath the vehicle).
- Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
- Verify that the tick noise is still present when canceling each cylinder, by unplugging the injectors one at a time.
- Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01) and retest vehicle.
- Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, re-torque to specification (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01).
- Check hydraulic lash adjusters for a possible “spongy” condition (refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-00).
- Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics do not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, replace the cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 4L3Z-6049-AA (RH) or 4L3Z-6049-BA (LH). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303- 01 for cylinder head replacement procedures.
NOTE: THE REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|4L3Z-6049-AA||Cylinder Head Asy – RH|
|4L3Z-6049-BA||Cylinder Head Asy – LH|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright Â© 2003 Ford Motor Company