Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 16, 2002|
On some vehicles the headrest cover may separate at the J-clip on the bottom of the cushion. This may be caused by the J-clips not properly holding the cover in place. A repair procedure has been developed instead of replacing headrest covers.
Apply adhesive to the headrest cover J-clips. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Obtain a tube of E8AZ-19554-A Ford instant adhesive or equivalent.
- Remove the head restraint from the seat back.
- Open the cover completely.
- Ensure the exposed flat surfaces of the attaching strips and leather or cloth cover in the attaching area are clean (Figure 1).
- Apply a small bead of adhesive to the female portion of the J-clip (Figure 2). Less adhesive is better. Too much will not cure.
- Partially engage the male side of the J-clip into the female side of the J-clip (Figure 3).
- Apply a bead of adhesive about 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide and 5 inches long along the flat portion of the “J” strip (Figure 4). Less adhesive is better. Too much will not cure.
- Holding the head restraint in both hands with the support rods up, slide the cover shut and apply pressure with two thumbs or one hand evenly for at least 15 seconds. After 15 seconds, the adhesive will have taken hold (Figure 5).
- Insert the head restraint back into the seat back after the 15 seconds. The adhesive will be completely set up after two hours.
NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE COVER APART ONCE THE ADHESIVE HAS TAKEN HOLD.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|022511A||Apply Adhesive To The Headrest Cover J-Clips (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headrest) One Headrest||0.2 Hr.|
|022511B||Apply Adhesive To The Headrest Cover J-Clips (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headrest) Two Headrest||0.3 Hr.|
|022511C||Apply Adhesive To The Headrest Cover J-Clips (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headrest) Three Headrest||0.3 Hr.|
|022511D||Apply Adhesive To The Headrest Cover J-Clips (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headrest) Four Headrest||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 02-25-11
Figure 2 – Article 02-25-11
Figure 3 – Article 02-25-11
Figure 4 – Article 02-25-11
Figure 5 – Article 02-25-11
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company