Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 3, 2001|
Some vehicles equipped with (Seat Integrated Restraint) “SIR” seats may exhibit a seat vibration or shake while at idle in gear. This may be caused by a combination of engine idle speed, motor mount material and the need to neutralize the Powertrain system.
Verify the condition. Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to raise the base idle speed, replace engine mounts (vehicles produced 11/1/01 through 5/1/01 only) with a softer design mount and perform the Powertrain Neutralize Procedure to help reduce the amount of energy transferred from the engine block to the seats.
Reprogram the PCM with a new calibration to increase base idle speed. Refer to the following PCM Information Chart.
On vehicles built 11/1/00 through 5/1/01 only, also replace Engine Mounts. Install the following engine mount service parts (Left Hand XL7Z-6038-CA, Right Hand XL7Z-6038-AA). Follow the procedure in the 2001 Work Shop Manual, Section 303-01
Perform Powertrain Neutralize Procedure:
To neutralize the exhaust, transmission and engine mounts, perform the following procedure:
- Loosen the following components:
- Transmission mount nuts to cross member
- Passenger’s side engine mount to frame
- Driver’s side engine mount bolt
- Exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold
- Exhaust hanger at transmission mount
- Apply parking brake, apply service brake and start engine.
- Shift transmission in Drive and raise engine RPM to 1600-2000 RPM, return engine to idle.
- Shift transmission to Reverse and raise engine RPM to 1600-2000 RPM, return to idle, repeat Drive and Reverse procedure.
- Shift transmission to Neutral and raise engine RPM one time to 3000 RPM, turn off engine and shift transmission into Park.
- Torque all related fasteners:
- Torque driver’s side engine mount bolt to 80 N-m (58 Lb-ft)
- Torque passenger side engine mount to frame nuts to 90 N-m (66 Lb-ft)
- Torque transmission mount nuts to 103 N-m (76 Lb-ft)
- Tighten the driver’s side exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold nuts evenly and torque to 40 N-m (30 Lb-ft)
- Tighten the passenger’s side exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold nuts evenly and torque to 40 N-m (30 Lb-ft)
- Torque exhaust pipe hanger nut and bolt to 40 N-m (30 Lb-ft)
PCM CALIBRATION INFORMATION Application Old Part Number (-12A650-) Tear Tag New Part Number (-12A650-) Old Calibration New Calibration NGS/WDS Qualifier 2001 4.6L F150 Calif. 4R70W 4X2 1L3F-KE FJCO 1U7Z-BFA 1F516D0B12 1F516D0B12 WDS B16.2 Release or Later 2001 4.6L F150 Calif. 4R70W 4X4 1L3F-LE GATO 1U7Z-BGA 1F516E0B12 1F516E0B12 WDS B16.2 Release or Later 2001 4.6L F150 Fed. 4R70W 4X2 1L3F-AVE HCDO 1U7Z-BHA 1F516M0A12 1F516M0A12 WDS B16.2 Release or Later 2001 4.6L F150 Fed. 4R70W 4X4 1L3F-AXE JAFO 1U7Z-BJA 1F516N0A12 1F516N0A12 WDS B16.2 Release or Later 2001 5.4L F150 Base/Harley Calif. 4R70W 1L3F-ARD KKMO 1U7Z-BKA 1F514E0B11 1F514E0B11 WDS B16.2 Release or Later 2001 5.4L F150 Base/Harley Fed. 4R70W 1L3F-ASD LDNO 1U7Z-BLA 1F514F0A11 1F514F0A11 WDS B16.2 Release or Later
Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 – obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.
AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE: Reprogrammed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Per TSB 01-24-8 THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE, BY EPA AND CARB. DEALER NUMBER:——————————————DATE:
FPS 8262 9/78 FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRINTED IN U.S.A.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XL7Z-6038-CA||Motor Mount – Left Hand|
|XL7Z-6038-AA||Motor Mount – Right Hand|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|012408A||Replace Engine Mounts, Perform Powertrain Neutralize Procedure, And Reprogram Powertrain Control Module||2.8 Hrs.|
|012408B||Perform Powertrain Neutralize Procedure, And Reprogram Powertrain Control Module||1.0 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Copyright © 2001 Ford Motor Company