Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: JUNE 21, 1999|
|1997-1999 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to state coverage for 4X2 vehicles only and revise Figure 1.
Increased brake pedal effort and/or false Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) cycling at low speeds, or ABS lamp illumination may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an incorrectly installed front wheel speed sensor, low vacuum in the brake booster, or a chipped or broken tooth on the tone ring resulting in reduced output to the ABS Electronic Control Unit (ECU).
Be sure the front wheel speed sensor is properly installed and the wires are properly routed. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Retrieve and record any ABS diagnostic trouble codes and follow procedures detailed in the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual.
- Inspect both front sensor wires for tension due to improper routing (Figure 1 and Figure 2). Make sure that the white clip, attached to sensor cable, is properly located on protrusion on the upper control arm (Figure 1). Replace the sensor assembly as needed.
- Carefully inspect the sensor wire at the sensor head. Look for any cracking or distress. Replace the sensor assembly as needed.
- Inspect both front sensor bodies for improper seating to the spindle housing. Inspect the tone ring for dents, flat spots, chips or other irregularities. The sensor bracket flange should be completely flush to the spindle housing (Figure 3). If any gap is present, then replace the sensor assembly with a new front wheel speed sensor.
- If sensor replacement is required, all surfaces including the hole where the sensor body is inserted must be free of rust build-up. Use a wire brush or die grinder to thoroughly clean all surfaces where the sensor seats.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XL3Z-2C204-BB||Front Wheel Speed Sensor (RH)|
|XL3Z-2C205-AB||Front Wheel Speed Sensor (LH)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|991313AB||Extra Time To Replace One (1) Front Wheel Sensor||0.2 Hr.|
|991313AC||Extra Time To Replace Two (2) Front Wheel Sensors||0.3 Hr.|
|991313A||Test ABS System And Inspect Both Front Sensors||0.7 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
206000, 301000, 702000
Figure 1 – Article 99-13-13
Figure 2 – Article 99-13-13
Figure 3 – Article 99-13-13
Copyright © 1999 Ford Motor Company