Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 28, 2002|
|1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.|
Article 01-6-4 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage.
Some vehicles may exhibit an erratic transmission 1-2 upshift or 2-1 downshift or may start out in 2nd gear. This may be caused by a vehicle speed signal from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module that is contaminated with engine electrical noise from the engine wiring harness on the ground circuit. A vehicle speed input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may be noticed when using a New Generation Star (NGS) tester to monitor the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), even when the vehicle is not moving.
Add a separate ground harness to improve PCM grounding. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Disconnect battery negative.
- Remove the ground screw from under the dash (to the left of the brake pedal assembly. This screw has two (2) ground eyelets attached).
- Drill a 6mm (1/4″) hole near the original ground screw location and clean to bare metal around the hole.
NOTE: BE SURE THE NUT CAN BE INSTALLED BEHIND THE HOLE.
- Bolt the original ground eyelets to the sheet metal using this new hole (Bolt: N805503-S301 and Nut: N620480-S301).
- Remove the PCM connector.
- Remove the black plastic shield from the back of the PCM connector.
- Remove the red locking plate from the front of the connector.
- Using the sharpened paper clip tool (or small screwdriver), open the locking tabs and remove the pins as shown (Figure 1).
NOTE: TO INSURE THE CORRECT PINS WERE REMOVED, THE RESISTANCE SHOULD BE “0″ OHMS BETWEEN ALL SEVEN (7) PINS.
- Insert the seven (7) pins from the new Jumper Harness (1C3Z-13N850-AA) into the connector. Reinstall the red locking plate.
- Install the eyelet from the new Jumper Harness (1C3Z-13N850-AA) into the ORIGINAL hole (weldnut).
NOTE: DO NOT CONNECT THE NEW JUMPER HARNESS WITH THE OTHER GROUND EYELETS. THESE GROUNDS MUST BE SEPARATE.
- Reinstall the black plastic PCM connector shield and tape/tie back the removed PCM ground pins.
- Reinstall the PCM connector and reattach the battery negative.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|1C3Z-13N850-AA||Ground Jumper Harness|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|021103A||Add Separate Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Ground Harness||0.9 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
203000, 203200, 204000, 501000, 502000, 504000, 610000, 610500, 610600, 611500, 614000, 614500
Figure 1 – Article 02-11-3
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company