Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: November 13, 2007|
|2007 F-53 Motorhome Chassis|
2008 F-Super Duty
Some 2007 F-53 Motorhome Chassis and 2008 F-Super Duty vehicles and 6.8L 3V engines with engine build dates between 6/26/2007 and 8/30/2007 may exhibit an engine knocking sound due to nicks in the engine balance shaft drive gear that may be perceived as a lower end knock. This concern is usually noticed with vehicles less than 5000 miles.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
Verify the build date on the engine code tag. If the engine build date is between 6/26/2007 and 8/30/2007 and the engine is exhibiting a knock, replace the balance shaft drive gear.
- Remove the left hand valve cover per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01B.
- Rotate the crankshaft damper until the alignment marks on the balance shaft drive gear and balance shaft driven gear are aligned (alignment mark is a dimple on the gears).
- Use timing chain locking service tool 303-1175 to lock the LH engine timing chain to the crankshaft timing sprocket.
- Mark the LH camshaft sprocket and timing chain to assure proper alignment on reassembly.
- Remove the 15 mm hex camshaft sprocket bolt and discard.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket, timing chain and balance shaft drive gear.
- Replace the balance shaft drive gear with a new gear, verify that the alignment marks are aligned.
- Install the camshaft sprocket and timing chain, verifying that the alignment marks you made are aligned.
- Install new camshaft sprocket bolt (new bolt required).
- Torque to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
- Then tighten an additional 90 degrees.
- Remove the timing chain locking service tool 303-1175.
- Install the left hand valve cover per WSM, Section 303-01B.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|5C3Z-6A303-BA||Balance Shaft Drive Gear|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|072317A||2007 F-53 Motorhome and 2008 F-Super Duty 6.8L. Check Engine Build Date On Valve Cover. Replace the Balance Shaft Drive Gear. Includes Removal of The Left Valve Cover And The Left Camshaft Sprocket.(Do Not Use With 6584A)||1.6 Hrs.|
|MT072317||2007 F-53 Motorhome Accessibility If Required Use Actual Time||Actual Time|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|