Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: June 2, 2003|
2003 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
Some 2000-2003 Expedition/Navigator, 2001-2003 F-Series Under 8500, and 2003 F-Series over 8500 vehicles may exhibit a rattle from the roof opening panel (moonroof) area, a failure of the roof opening panel to open properly, or a water leak from the roof opening panel. This may be due to the water trough being separated from the trough guide on either side, as a result of a broken trough guide.
Check if the water trough is securely attached to the trough guide at each end. Check for damage to the lifter arm assemblies at the joint where the trough guide metal rods attach. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||IF ROOF OPENING PANEL SERVICE IS PERFORMED BY A SUBLET FACILITY, MAKE SURE THIS ARTICLE IS REFERENCED DURING SERVICE.|
The trough guide is a small plastic piece with a metal rod attachment which is responsible for guiding the roof opening panel water trough along the roof opening panel track as the panel opens and closes.
The roof opening panel water trough is a metal tray that attaches to the trough guides at each end and is responsible for collecting water as the glass panel tilts and operates.
In cases where a water trough becomes loose, it will rattle against the rearward portion of the roof opening panel assembly during driving. Likewise, it may result in the roof opening glass opening without the interior shade opening simultaneously. It may also prevent the glass panel from fully opening or closing.
A separated water trough may lead to a water leak into the vehicle at the rear of the roof opening glass when the moonroof is opened.
Check if the water trough is securely attached to the trough guide at each end. Check for damage to the lifter arm assemblies at the joint where the trough guide metal rods attach.
Before replacing the guides and trough, inspect the roof opening panel track for broken plastic guide pieces, and remove them. Be sure to discard the original water trough and use a new trough, even if damage to the trough itself is not apparent. The new water trough design has fully enclosed screw holes rather than open-ended slots for securing it to the trough guides.
If there is no damage to the lifter arm assemblies, but the water trough and guide are separated on either side, replace BOTH trough guides AND the water trough (serviceable subassemblies of the roof opening panel assembly) according to the following replacement instructions.
If there is damage to the lifter arm assembly or assemblies, replace the moonroof assembly according to Workshop Manual Section 501-17.
Rear Trough Guide Replacement
- Remove the roof opening panel (glass). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 501-17 for removal instructions.
- Remove the two trough guide retaining screws (Figure 1).
- Remove and discard the water trough (Figure 2). One end of the trough may still be attached to the trough guide – if so, remove it from the trough guide assembly.
- Disconnect the trough guide wire from the moonroof lifter arm mechanism on either side (Figure 3).
- Slide the trough guide assembly through the small slot in the tracks to remove it on each side (Figure 4).
- Inspect the trough guide assemblies for damage. If damage is found, inspect the roof opening panel track for the broken pieces and remove any pieces found.
- Carefully twist the new trough guide through the small slot in the tracks to install it.
- Connect the trough guide wire to the lifter arm mechanism on either side.
- Set the NEW water trough onto the trough guide assemblies.
- Tighten the two screws (one on each side) through the holes into the trough guide assembly holes. Torque to 1.0 ± 0.25 N-m (9 ± 2 lb-in).
- Re-install the roof opening panel according to Workshop Manual section 501-17.
- Adjust the glass flushness as specified in Workshop Manual section 501-17.
NOTE: WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED, THE TOP OF THE SEAL BULB AT THE FRONT OF THE GLASS PANEL SHOULD BE FLUSH TO 0.060″ (1.5 MM) LOWER THAN THE ROOF SURFACE, AND THE TOP OF THE SEAL BULB AT THE REAR OF THE GLASS PANEL SHOULD BE FLUSH TO 0.060″ (1.5 MM) HIGHER THAN THE ROOF SURFACE.
- Cycle test the moonroof through the vent and full open positions to check for proper function.
LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART Operation Labor Description Vehicle Time 031110A Inspect And Replace Roof Opening Panel Frame (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headliner) 2000-2002 Expedition/Navigator 2.1 Hrs. 2003 Expedition/Navigator 2.8 Hrs. 2001-2003 F-150 Super Cab 1.4 Hrs. 2001-2003 F-150 Super Crew 2.2 Hrs. 2003 F-Super Duty Super Cab 1.5 Hrs. 2003 F-Super Duty Super Crew 2.2 Hrs. 031110B Inspect And Replace Trough And Roof Opening Panel Rear Trough Guides 2000-2002 Expedition/Navigator 0.8 Hr. 2003 Expedition/Navigator 0.8 Hr. 2001-2003 F-150 Super Cab 0.8 Hr. 2001-2003 F-150 Super Crew 0.8 Hr. 2003 F-Super Duty Super Cab 0.8 Hr. 2003 F-Super Duty Super Crew 0.8 Hr.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|3C3Z-78500A65-AA||Trough Guide – Left|
|3C3Z-78500A64-AA||Trough Guide – Right|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
102000, 105000, 108000, 110000, 111000, 702000, 702100, 702300
Figure 1 – Article 03-11-10
Figure 2 – Article 03-11-10
Figure 3 – Article 03-11-10
Figure 4 – Article 03-11-10