Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: February 2, 2006|
|2005-2006 F-Super Duty|
This article supersedes TSB 05-26-14 to update the Service Procedure.
Some 2005-2006 F-Super Duty and 2006 F-53 Motorhome Chassis vehicles with a 6.8L 3-valve engine may exhibit a loss of RPM on deceleration when coming to a stop, with or without diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0506. This condition may also occur during low speed parking lot maneuvers and/or when turning the steering wheel to the full right or left lock position.
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration level, and refer to the following Service Procedure to determine additional repair steps that should be taken.
- Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using WDS release B40.7 and higher or B41.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B41 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. This calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy.
- With A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to idle. After engine is at operating temperature, allow engine to idle for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using the WDS or equivalent scan tool, check for DTC P115E (Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Air Flow Trim at Max Limit).
- Using WDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
- If P115E is present or ETC_TRIM value is 3.0 degrees or greater, then replace the throttle body with Part Number 6C3Z-9E926-AA following Workshop Manual, Section 303-04B.
- If P115E is not present and the PID value of ETC_TRIM is not greater than 3.0 degrees, then replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) with Service Kit 6L2Z-9B989-A following the instructions included in the service kit.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|6L2Z-9B989-A||Throttle Position Sensor Kit|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|060309A||2005-2006 F-Super Duty 6.8L 3V: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Reprogram The Powertrain Control Module, Recheck Codes After Following Service Procedure, And Replace The Throttle Body (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D1, 12650D84, 9926A, 051404A)||1.1 Hrs.|
|060309B||2005-2006 F-Super Duty 6.8L 3V: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Reprogram The Powertrain Control Module, Recheck Codes After Following Service Procedure, And Replace The Throttle Position Sensor (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D1, 12650D84, 9926A, 051404A)||1.2 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|