Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: September 11, 2006|
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2006 E-350, E-450
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2006 E-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.0L engine may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0401, P0402, P1335, lack of power, or surge.
Follow normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) led diagnostics for the symptom or code identified. If normal diagnostics lead to replacement of the EGR valve, use the following Service Procedure to clean the valve instead of replacing it.
- Remove the EGR valve following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-08.
- Remove the EGR valve O-rings and gasket.
NOTE: THE EGR VALVE MUST BE HELD VERTICAL WITH ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY ON TOP FOR THE COMPLETE PROCEDURE. DO NOT ALLOW CLEANER TO ENTER THE WEEP HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE ACTUATOR. (FIGURE 1)
Figure 1 – Article 06-19-6
- Soak the EGR valve with carburetor cleaner or injector cleaner to loosen deposits. Do not use brake cleaner, this can damage the actuator seal. (Figure 1)
- To clean the seats of the valve, hold the pintle shaft at the upper pintle head crimp (Figure 1) and gently push it open against the spring. Once open, insert a soft object to hold the valve open.
NOTE: IF SOAKING (SUBMERGING) THE VALVE MAKE SURE THE FLUID DOES NOT ENTER THE WEEP HOLES OR ACTUATOR SEAL. FLUID IN THESE AREAS WILL CAUSE THE VALVE TO MALFUNCTION. (FIGURE 2)
Figure 2 – Article 06-19-6
- Use a non abrasive pick or brush to break up deposits.
- Use carburetor cleaner or injector cleaner to spray away remaining deposits.
- Dry the EGR valve with compressed air.
- Wipe the EGR valve clean using a clean shop towel.
- With new O-rings and gasket install the EGR valve following WSM, Section 303-08.
- Clear any DTCs and perform the key on engine off (KOEO) On Demand Self-Test to learn the new EGR closed position. Failure to due so could result in a false P0404 DTC.
- Verify the repair by using IDS datalogger to take active command of EGR valve. Ensure valve passes EGR position test in Section 4 of the PC/ED.
NOTE: IF THE EGR VALVE PASSES THE POSITION TEST IN THE PC/ED THE VALVE SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED.
- If the EGR valve does not pass the position test, replace the EGR valve.
- The root cause of the coking must be corrected or the coking may reoccur. Check for TSB’s related to coking and the other diesel operating systems that could contribute to coking (fuel, turbo, oil, air induction, vehicle maintenance).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|4C3Z-9F452-A||EGR Valve – MY 03-04|
|5C3Z-9F452-AA||EGR Valve – MY 05-07|
|3C3Z-9P455-AB||EGR Valve Kit|
|PM-3||Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner|
|PM-6||Premium Fuel Injector Cleaner|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|061906A||2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Perform Normal Diagnostics, Perform EGR Valve Cleaning Procedure, Includes Time To Perform The EGR Position Test (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30, 9477A, 6005F, 6005F20, 6005F1)||2.0 Hrs.|
|061906B||2004-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Perform Normal Diagnostics, Perform EGR Valve Cleaning Procedure, Includes Time To Perform The EGR Position Test (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30, 9477A, 6005F, 6005F20, 6005F1)||3.6 Hrs.|
|061906C||2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Perform Normal Diagnostics, Perform EGR Valve Cleaning Procedure, Includes Time To Perform The EGR Position Test, Replace Failed EGR Valve (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30, 9477A, 6005F, 6005F20, 6005F1)||2.3 Hrs.|
|061906D||2004-2006 Econoline 6.0L: Perform Normal Diagnostics, Perform EGR Valve Cleaning Procedure, Includes Time To Perform The EGR Position Test, Replace Failed EGR Valve (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D30, 9477A, 6005F, 6005F20, 6005F1)||5.5 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company